Author Topic: decoding tires  (Read 5212 times)

moparcleyon

• View Profile
decoding tires
« on: August 23, 2007, 12:41:37 AM »
I have a 1969 Camaro pace car.  I am trying to find out if the original tires are on the car.  It has been garaged the entire time and tires are in great shape.  Anyone know if there is a book out there that tells how to decode the tires or does anyone know how to do that??  Here is the info on the tire itself:

Firestone  Super Wide Oval Sports
F70x14
CYLD F2K5049
White letters
Thanks for the help...

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
Re: decoding tires
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 02:34:29 AM »
I have a 1969 Camaro pace car.  I am trying to find out if the original tires are on the car.  It has been garaged the entire time and tires are in great shape.  Anyone know if there is a book out there that tells how to decode the tires or does anyone know how to do that??  Here is the info on the tire itself:

F70x14
CYLD F2K5049
White letters
Thanks for the help...

I believe it decodes as follow, but I will try to confirm it with some documentation I have, tomorrow.
CYLD = Plant
 F2K5= Mold Type #
 04= Week in year produced
   9= Year produced 1969 or 1979
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

moparcleyon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 11:52:48 PM »

F70x14
CYLD F2K5049
White letters
Thanks for the help...

I believe it decodes as follow, but I will try to confirm it with some documentation I have, tomorrow.
CYLD = Plant
 F2K5= Mold Type #
 04= Week in year produced
   9= Year produced 1969 or 1979
Did you ever get any more information on the tire decoding?  Thanks.. Cleyon

moparcleyon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 04:27:54 AM »
Paceme, what did you come up with.. Cleyon

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 09:10:26 PM »
I believe they are reproduction tires, because i don't believe that plant existed in 1969 or1979.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-