Author Topic: Replacement seat foam  (Read 5220 times)

mrdetails

• View Profile
Replacement seat foam
« on: August 22, 2007, 04:28:28 PM »
Hello: Has anyone ever used the replacement seat foam sets when recovering bucket seats? I have some and am having a problem as the seat botton foam is a lot thicker than the original foam. I called the company and they assured me it would fit. The foam is approx 3.5 inch thick over the springs. The springs are 5.5 inch high and the seat cover id 5.5 inch deep. All thuis togther means the springs will have to compress 3.5 inch to assemble. I don't think that much *()()* will fit in that size bag. The original foam was approx 2 inch thick. best as I can measure. Also on the foam for the back, it has the springs molded in. My seat backs have springs attached. Are their 2 different seats used in Camaro's? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thks.:
Sam

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Replacement seat foam
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 03:09:05 PM »
There are a few manufacturers of the seat foam and only one that is really any good. New foam will definitely be thicker due to the many years of the old foam being compressed from the seat covers and someone sitting on the seat. You may have the wrong seat foam application for your car as it is different for each year and style of seat cover. I assume you are working on a 67 or 8 since you do not have the seat springs molded into your original foam, unless it is a very early 69.  I have a few sets of seat foam here for upcoming restorations, and none of them are as thick as yours. How about some more information as to where you bought the foam, your year of car, and whether it is deluxe or standard interior?......................RatPack..........................
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 04:26:41 PM »
RatPack: Thkls. for the response. 1969, 01d build, LA car, standard interior. The foam is from Arizona Saguaro Mfg. I talked to them on the phone and was reasured it will fit. I'am in the process of instaliation now. It will be extreamly difficult to get the listing lines far enough forward to be in the correct position when I hog ring them. The foam will have to be compressed to allow the spring assembly to be forward enough. Some times I use zip ties, that way you can leave them loose untill the cover is in the correct place. Then tighten the ties up to draw the listing lines tight and hog ring for extra holding power.
I have done other camaro seats bofore and thtey always had springs in the backs...not sure of build dates or if seats were original to the particular car.
Thks.:
Sam

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 07:47:18 PM »
Just finished this job....looks good....nice and tight. It was some job pulling the seat cover over the foam though even using a dry cleaners plastic bag. The zip ties worked out real well, saved a lot of trouble getting the listing lines togther. Now on to the backs.

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 08:46:49 PM »
I found this thread through Advanced search, I am in the process of re-upholstering my standard Bucket seats for my early 67 Coupe.  My original seats had some kind of cotton "batting" both under the foam, and above the foam under the cover, should I replace this?  Or is the new foam made thick enough to compensate?
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
Ratpack, I had a thread earlier asking about what seat foam was good as I needed to replace mine.  I'm curious which only one you say is "good".
68Z28