Author Topic: Brake caliper help and questions  (Read 4545 times)

copo69

• View Profile
Brake caliper help and questions
« on: August 16, 2007, 04:03:17 PM »
 I have a problem with my '69 front calipers. First I had problem with car pulling to right so I changed the brake hoses, (few miles but 12 yrs old with silicone fluid) still pulled a bit but after dragging brakes for about 1/2 mi it cleared up and was fine however had a leak between caliper and brake hose fitting. I cannot get the leak stopped. I checked caliper for cracks, none, and hose appears OK. Seating surface on caliper looks OK but didn't get good crush marks on copper washer but it was correctly torqued then slightly over torqued and still leaked. New washers were about .003 thinner. This leak was static. I removed caliper inspected everything again and bench tested with air but still get leak. I'm ready to pull my hair out. Anyway, I'm just about ready to replace the calipers although I hate to give up these as I'm 99% sure they're original and had them resleeved with stainless by Stainless Steel Brakes 12 or so years ago. I looked at the catalogs and I see "technically correct" so I assume same caliper used for other years. Anyone know what is correct casting #'s for '69 and how many years they were used? One catalog lists cars made before and after 11/69. I can't find any info on numbers anywhere...books or on the net. Anybody know what we need to look for? Any rebuilt calipers better than others? What is the correct finish on 'em...black paint or natural? What are the restorers using? Thanks

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
Re: Brake caliper help and questions
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 02:14:46 AM »
You might want to try thicker washers.  Sounds to me like the hose is not mating with the caliper. Check to see if you get any movement from the hose once it tightened to the caliper.
 This would be the first thing I would try.  I can't help you with the numbers.
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 12:56:18 PM »
I have a friend at the auto parts store who will order rebuilt parts, check for the number and return if incorrect. sometimes he has to order several before he finds the corect pt. no. and date code. Sometimes no luck. If you know some one have them try it out.
Good Luck
Sam

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 05:52:13 AM »
As for the color...I used dupli-color engine paint in cast coat gray color.

anything