Author Topic: Gas Tank Straps+ filler neck  (Read 15979 times)

dews 67

• View Profile
Gas Tank Straps+ filler neck
« on: January 02, 2006, 11:33:24 PM »
Working on a 67. What color are the gas tank straps? Natural steel or black? Also on the face of the gas filler neck(galvinized piece), is it body color or natural galvinized? Thanks

fiveforty

• View Profile
Re: Gas Tank Straps+ filler neck
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 04:25:51 AM »
They are both natural.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 04:53:57 PM »
Either natural or semi-gloss black is correct for the gas tank straps; not sure about Van Nuys cars, but Norwood cars generally had black dip-primed straps. My unmolested original 02D Norwood '69 has dip-primed black straps.  :)
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

dews 67

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 12:29:15 AM »
Thought the filler neck was natural. Gold colored screws. Right? Have a norwood car. Just want to make sure about the gas straps. Dont what to have to change them at a later date to make correct. Thanks..

drdave69

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 06:59:36 PM »
Hey John, I had no idea that some of the gas tank straps were black. You never know when you may learn something new.

camaro cat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 08:33:08 PM »
 I also have a 02D Norwood car. My original gas tank has  been sprayed with black paint and does look to have been done so at the factory. I would be curious what you think?
Loren
1967 RS L30 10C LOS
1969 SS/RS L78 02D NOR

drdave69

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 03:29:26 PM »
I don't believe the actual tank would have been black from the factory but it may have been undercoated at the dealership.

Calvin Iron Shell,Jr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 12:28:11 AM »
So reading through the forum on this particular subject I do not see an exact answer. My specific question would be for a Van nuys Camaro. Was the fuel tank natural color which would have been probably galvanized, or was it painted same with the straps and the neck what color were they? Anyone have an answer?

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2020, 02:42:47 AM »
 My 67 original LOS has a blank painted tank. Bottom only and the filler neck is not painted. I've discussed this before and some feel it was not done at the factory. I dispute that and if you see the car in person you can see the sloppy application and not some carefully masked job you would expect an owner to do.
  But, here is a link to one of those discussions and there is another example of a LOS black tank. And, Kurt, who is a CRG core member, said he too has seen black LOS tanks. This is the thread: http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=5577.120 See Kurts reply #131
Here is another thread and my reply #18 shows the paint. The runs are absolutely not undercoating. There is no paint under the straps. LOS did things a little different than NOR and the tank blackout had to have been done on the Chevrolet side after the tank was mounted.
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=11984.15  Also check out reply #26 in this thread.

Researching other threads here on CRG shows other LOS owners had black tanks.
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2020, 12:10:50 PM »
My 04A built Norwood 67 has galvanized tank and “Lightly” painted black  straps.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2020, 04:55:48 PM »
Depends on the year.
Kurt S
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2020, 03:38:34 AM »
Gas tank straps are black.

Pics below show the guy at the LOS plant painting the tanks and the rear part of the leaf springs black.  Norwood did not do this.

Also note the pinch weld on the lower quarter panel is painted black.
Jon Mello
CRG

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2020, 06:55:30 AM »
Great photos Jon, thanks for posting.
Interesting detail. My original tank was missing but in 2013 I took one off a very clean original 01B LA car that was being turned into a race car, and the underside of the tank was painted black. Tank was unpainted beneath the straps, and I figured it was done by a previous owner. Maybe factory then.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2020, 11:00:49 AM »
 Thank you, Jon!
This solves my dilemma if I should keep the tank black or not when (and if) I decided to restore my '67 LOS.

I notice the water wall in pictures 2,3 & 4. I'm sure this was for overspray control.
I also see black overspary on the edge of the muffler in picture #4.

As for the reason to painting the tank, I wonder who made that decision to perform the step because it must have been tallied in the overall cost for a Camaro production being it involved a person, parts (spray gun and floor space)  and materials. My guess it was applied for aesthetics reasons.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2020, 01:57:10 PM »
What is the piece between the bumper and tail pan?  Also heavy paint marking on the diff cover.?. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 03:58:25 PM by cook_dw »