Author Topic: 68 Z ground wire  (Read 7040 times)

68Zproject

• View Profile
68 Z ground wire
« on: August 07, 2007, 05:45:12 AM »
Does anyone know where the neg battery wire hooks to on the block of a 68 Z28?
68Z28

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
Re: 68 Z ground wire
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 11:38:54 AM »
Does anyone know where the neg battery wire hooks to on the block of a 68 Z28?

Mine is attached to the top-most bolt - left side of the water pump looking at the engine from the front - just above the lower rad hose.... Randy

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 04:28:23 AM »
Is this on another WP stud like the right side, upper that the alt bracket goes on?  Or is it just under a WP bolt?  Thansk.
68Z28

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 03:44:35 PM »
Is this on another WP stud like the right side, upper that the alt bracket goes on?  Or is it just under a WP bolt?  Thansk.

On my particular car it is just under a bolt. I believe the stud s were reserved for the other side where the alternator bracket(s) were attached and the only place and reason studs were used.
I was trying to find where I had the idea I had mounted the ground strap properly. Probably (a) becasue that was where it was when I got the car and (b) where Jerry's book shows it to be mounted although and couldn't find my copy when I first responded to your post to confirm that. - Randy

JohnKY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 04:44:24 PM »
This particular water pump bolt is also a stud, like the alt. bracket stud, except the wire connection is 5/16" diameter with a star ground washer.
The wire wouldn't go under the water pump bolt, as the engine was already assembled when the wire was attached.

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 02:44:41 AM »
This particular water pump bolt is also a stud, like the alt. bracket stud, except the wire connection is 5/16" diameter with a star ground washer.
The wire wouldn't go under the water pump bolt, as the engine was already assembled when the wire was attached.

Yep - my mistake as I realized after finally finding my AIM copy tonight page 152 /UPC12/ A5.
I exchanged many of my engine fasteners for stainless ones for a little more bling quite a while back and now obviously have a nice bright bolt holding on the ground wire where a stud, lock washer, and nut should be (left upper- most water pump fastener position) and would have originally been used. Actually the AIM shows 3 of the 4 water pump fasteners to be studs - 2 left side - one top right!
... Sorry about that - Randy

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 05:57:38 AM »
That's what had me confused.  The AIM showing 3 bolts and 1 stud.  The bolts I bought for the WP where of that makeup.  I also have an old set so I guess I should use the stud for the ground side from the extra set I have?
68Z28

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 03:48:33 AM »
Here's a photo of the negative battery cable routing on a 1968 Z28.  Hope it helps!

Paul

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 05:02:06 AM »
Yes, that helps a lot Paul, thanks.  I assume that bolt is like the one holding the alt. bracket and is a stud?  And did you put your solenoid wires on the passenger side of the heater hoses, or were they that way to begin with?  I couldn't decide if they went on the driver's side or passenger side of the heater hoses, or if it matters.  After seeing so many 69 engine bays it was really refreshing to see something that finally looked familiar.  I take it that's your car?
68Z28