Author Topic: power steering overheating  (Read 5092 times)

diveride

• View Profile
power steering overheating
« on: August 07, 2007, 01:26:10 AM »
My big block headers are 1/2 inch from the steering box.  In traffic it squeeks and becomes very hot.  Could my headers be causiing this?  The fluid gets very hot and has a burnt smell.  Any solutions or suggestions to correct.  The car has been resently built but several people has worked on the PS but nothing has helped.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
Re: power steering overheating
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 08:14:34 AM »
Hiw about a ceramic coating on the headers? This should contain more of the exhaust heat.

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 02:04:17 PM »
You can also gget insulation wrap for this purpose. You could either do the entire header of the area by the steering box. Doing the entire header (both) will keep under hood temp. down and incerase perf. a little. IT is available at speed shops. Just a thought.
Sam

diveride

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 02:44:03 AM »
Thanks for the tip..  will try the wrap on the headers.

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 11:58:29 AM »
One thing about the wrap on headers, it will void any warranty that the header manufacturer has. It keeps so much of the heat inside the headers it causes them to rust extremely fast from the inside out. Same goes for ceramic coating them, unless the company that does it coats the inside of them extremely well. I have had to replace the headers and headpipes on two cars within the past six months (customers cars) that had their headers and exhaust systems coated by "local" companies due to inferior quality. These systems were on the cars for less than a year, so you get what you pay for when it comes to coatings.  I sent mine to Jet Hot in Georgia which are on my 68 bb Camaro now, and I watched the pipe temps decrease over 150 degrees from my headers that were not coated before.

Also I ended up going from the Hooker Super Competition headers to the regular Competition headers as the drivers side seemed to clear the power steering box a little better, not much but there was defiinitely more room than the earlier set........RatPack......................
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............