Author Topic: Original Glass dating  (Read 12246 times)

JohnSSL78

• View Profile
Original Glass dating
« on: July 31, 2007, 07:19:24 PM »
I am researching the original glass dated etchings.  My car is a 11C 68 Norwood built car. I need input on the location of the front windshield etching and whether it was on the outside read from the inside or read from the outside. I have read the CRG glass report and would like to see other examples of how it was done. Also was the original clear windshield all clear or was there a tint at the top?

John

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Original Glass dating
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 09:27:36 PM »
Best thing for you to do is find a used Camaro glass and use it as a reference.  Many will sell you glass cheap if it has scratches in it......and that will answer your questions about location and postiion.  The repro glass company will install the date codes too.

No tint at the top of the WS in a non tinted car.

Jerry

JohnSSL78

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 02:46:33 PM »
Thanks Jerry. Your solution is the ideal, but I really don't want to buy and especially have to pay shipping on a used windshield. I just wanted to see if anyone had an original that was etched on the outside read from the outside. The CRG report only shows one 69 windshield and it shows to be etched on the outside and read from the inside. I guess to be safe I will go with that, since the concensus shows that is the normative practice.

John

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 08:32:15 PM »
My original '69 windshield is etched on the inside, read from the inside; have never seen a piece of original GM/LOF glass etched on the outside.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Jonesy

• 1969 Camaro z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 02:56:55 AM »
Mine is also etched on the inside on both 69 and 67.
1967 RS-Z/28 Nantucket Blue the D-2 car
1969 RS/SS 350 4 speed Azure Turquoise
1969 Z28 Azure Turquoise

Gambitt

• View Profile
    • My car
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 12:10:09 PM »
One of my original door glasses was etched on the outside...I can't remember which one, but I thought that was very odd.  The date code on it appeared correct for my 04C car...and I know for a fact it had never been replaced in the 20+ years I have owned it.  All other glass was etched from the inside.

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 02:41:24 PM »
If it helps I have attached a picture of the front windshield. It is the original glass. The picture was taken from the outside but then
flipped so that it can be read. The lettering is read from the inside and is located on the passenger side at the bottom corner.

Picture taken from an early 1969 z28 built in LOS 10D.

asm69

JohnSSL78

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 03:24:07 PM »
Thanks for the info. I think it is pretty conclusive now.

John

9T4Z

• View Profile
    • Gary's Camaro
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 09:32:47 PM »
One of my original door glasses was etched on the outside...I can't remember which one, but I thought that was very odd.  The date code on it appeared correct for my 04C car...and I know for a fact it had never been replaced in the 20+ years I have owned it.  All other glass was etched from the inside.

Thats because the left and right door glass were the same.... so they etched them all the same and used one piece for both doors.... er I think :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 09:36:22 PM by 9T4Z »
Gary 9T4Z

94Z rag blower 491 rwhp (now 505!)
69 Pace Car, 70RS,91Z,91RS

tim69camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 01:18:47 AM »
I don't think the left and right door glass are the same. I believe it is curved and not interchangable. Either way the web site has a lot of great information about glass.

http://camaros.org/glass.shtml
Tim Bailey

DeanZ10

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 04:04:51 AM »
Is it likely that an 04L car would have both PPG and LOF glass in it. The dates seem to be good for the PPG (jan and feb 69) on drivers door and quarter and pass quarter. The LOF pass door is AX Sept 68. HMMM????
Thanks
Dean

Gambitt

• View Profile
    • My car
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 12:16:44 PM »
The left and right door glass being the same (and one being etched on the outside) makes sense if they put the bend in the glass after they are produced.  I have no idea how the glass is manufactured though.  JohnZ...are you sure both of your door glass etchings are on the inside?  I can post pics of mine if you want to see it. It is entirely possible the glass was manufactured both ways I suppose.

DeanZ10

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 01:18:42 PM »
drivers side door and quarter are ppg read from outside.  pass quarter is ppg and door is lof, both read from inside

IZRSSS

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 03:03:34 PM »
John...I too have the original glass in my '69.  All etchings for the exception of the rear glass can be read from the inside.  Question; was the rear glass installed from the factory to read from the outside?

IZRSSS

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 03:34:34 PM »
Johnz...Sorry...wrong John