Author Topic: Transmission detailing question  (Read 12283 times)

no69x-44

• View Profile
Transmission detailing question
« on: July 23, 2007, 09:38:30 PM »
When the TH400 bolted up to big block engine in a Camaro back in 1969, how was it detailed, i.e. colors? I have heard that it was just the natural alumium and not that Chevy engine Orange. Is that true for the bell housing and pan too?  My TH400 is 100% natural (gray bear metal) and would like to detail it correctly. I have already done my rear which came out great in natural coat and since have learned that it should have been paint ALL black. So Now I have to redo that!!!  >:(  I don't want to make the same mistake on the tranny. Any help as always, is appreciated (on the rear and the tranny).  ;D
--Rob
----------------------------
'72 SS Nova - Gone
'68 Chevelle - Gone
'67 Impala - Gone
'65 Belair - Gone
'00 Corvette - Still got it
'69 Camaro - Keeper

9T4Z

• View Profile
    • Gary's Camaro
Re: Transmission detailing question
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 10:22:48 PM »
I remember natural metal.... with a bit of overspray orange on the bellhousing... nothing on the pan or body of the tranny..

anyone else??
Gary 9T4Z

94Z rag blower 491 rwhp (now 505!)
69 Pace Car, 70RS,91Z,91RS

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 08:54:24 AM »
The THM400's did not receive engine orange overspray because they were not attached at the time of painting.  Manual transmission applications did get overspray
on the bell housing as they were actually attached prior to painting.  I have pictures of engines traveling down the assembly line @ Tonawanda and you can clearly
see no THM400's were attached but bell housings were.  If you are referring to the clutch inspection cover when you wrote "pan", I believe that was not yet installed
either - at the time of painting. 

Natural aluminum for the THM400.....

Steve
69 SS 396, Hugger Orange, D/80, D/90
Chambered Exhaust, N/66, THM400, 3:73 posi

Steve A.
  CRG

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 11:41:07 AM »
We have tumbled-reskinned turbo 400 cases for many of the high end restoration shops in the country.  Natural is the way they were.

Jerry

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 01:23:40 AM »
Transmissions were installed at the car assembly plants, so they have no orange paint; the inspection cover on a manual was installed at the engine plant, and will show orange. The lower cover on an automatic was installed at the car assembly plant (it had to be off to install the converter bolts), and won't show any orange paint.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 02:10:58 PM »
I just finished doing one for my car. I hade Jerry re-skin it same as the block, heads, and intake. Beautiful job. Their is also a 2 letter application code ink stamped on the upper case. I have seen it near the bell housing edge and also in the middle of the case. The code is the same as on the ID tag riveted on the side of the case. Their is a very good picture on this site of a CX trans which is the high up-shift, high horse useage. CC is the middle horse code.The color of the stamp and tag vary with year. I did an art work of the tag and had it reproduced by a local trophy shop. I came out OK as it is very dificult to see when installed in the car. I couldn't find anyone to screen print it as the originals. Pan was natural steel as was dip tube and dip stick. The modulator cover was zinc plated. All other bkt's and clips were natural. I believe the inspection cover was semi-gloss black. Bolts were gray or black oxide.I talked to several people that worked on these when they were new and this was the info I got. Hope this helps...
Sam

no69x-44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 02:46:53 AM »
Thanks guys for the feedback and all the good information.  Good stuff.  The tranny will be going in ala natural.
--Rob
----------------------------
'72 SS Nova - Gone
'68 Chevelle - Gone
'67 Impala - Gone
'65 Belair - Gone
'00 Corvette - Still got it
'69 Camaro - Keeper

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 05:37:09 PM »
I just finished doing one for my car. I hade Jerry re-skin it same as the block, heads, and intake. Beautiful job. Their is also a 2 letter application code ink stamped on the upper case. I have seen it near the bell housing edge and also in the middle of the case. The code is the same as on the ID tag riveted on the side of the case. Their is a very good picture on this site of a CX trans which is the high up-shift, high horse useage. CC is the middle horse code.The color of the stamp and tag vary with year. I did an art work of the tag and had it reproduced by a local trophy shop. I came out OK as it is very dificult to see when installed in the car. I couldn't find anyone to screen print it as the originals. Pan was natural steel as was dip tube and dip stick. The modulator cover was zinc plated. All other bkt's and clips were natural. I believe the inspection cover was semi-gloss black. Bolts were gray or black oxide.I talked to several people that worked on these when they were new and this was the info I got. Hope this helps...
Sam

Sam,

Care to post an image of that stamp on the trans case?  I'd like to see it.

Steve

Steve A.
  CRG

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Kurt S
CRG

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 04:44:29 PM »
I tried to find that page for a hour with no luck..I got some fo my info from their. I saw a CC case where the stamp was parallel to the front edge of the bell housing about 2 inch back.
Sam

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 03:28:42 AM »
http://www.camaros.org/drivetrain.shtml#TransmissionNumbers

Thanks Kurt!

Now, if you can assist me - where exactly did that CX-THM400 image ( posted in the archives ) come from?  I am particularly interested in getting
an exact reproduction of that "CX" ink stamp.  Do you happen to know who it belongs/belonged to?  I'd like to do a follow-up on this.......

That's the first time I've seen a "CX" ink stamp on one of these.  I have a "CX" here ( lucky me  ;D ), but the case is oxidized ( actually brown ) and
no such ink stamp is visible. :(

Anybody know if the location of the ink stamp, in the image in question, is the "typical" location for this stamp?

Steve

Steve A.
  CRG

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 01:03:16 PM »
Steve: I have a "CX" stamp which has the correct letter aspect ratio (height to width). I only used it once......I also have an extra ID tag, not perfect as I said, but usable. none of these things can really be seen when the trans is in the car. Although you may have the tag which came with the trans. I would guess the position of the stamp would vary as it was hand stamped. It may have even been stencled? E-mail me if you would like to use the stamp.
Sam

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 04:16:44 AM »
All the pictures I used are credited. Hold your cursor over the picture.....
Kurt S
CRG

Buzz1967

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 11:33:53 PM »
What color are the governor cover and the speedometer sender supposed to be? And I'm still needing the color of the ID  tag.

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 01:23:04 AM »
What color are the governor cover and the speedometer sender supposed to be? And I'm still needing the color of the ID  tag.
The cover is natural as is the speedometer housing (sender). The tag is black.
Go to your other thread for more detail.
Bob

anything