Author Topic: black on tailpan on ss cars  (Read 153198 times)

jtsfrstgen

• View Profile
Re: black on tailpan on ss cars
« Reply #120 on: October 27, 2013, 05:51:28 PM »
How skeptical people can be. As for pics (they were polaroids back then) as far as I know all were lost in a fire on Labor Day 1976 along with part of the skin on my wrist. Yes anyone can join a site and say anything. There seemed to be quite a discussion about the black tailpan and I offered the benefit of the knowledge of a person who actually ordered a brand new 1968 RS/SS 396 Camaro, who had to wait around 6 weeks for it and, picked it up at the dealership when it arrived. The memories from a person who spent many weekends washing the car and now many people many think I may be offering an opinion about the satin black instead of fact. I really do not need to research history when I "lived" the history. That was a very special car to me as it was not only my first Camaro (I have owned several since then) but, it was my very first car, the one I remember the most. I have many fond memories listening to The Doors on my 8 track tape player while cruisin' around town. Now I wonder how many on this site actually own a Camaro! How many of you even think I never owned a Camaro! Through all the posts I read about this....not one person  expressed actually ordering the Camaro (again, actually living the history, not having to research it). The tailpan was painted satin black. For those non believers you have your opinions. 

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 27, 2013, 07:11:01 PM »
I thought John Z ( I pretty much consider his word gospel) put this topic to bed stating ( paraphrase) When they mixed the batches for blacking out (rockers, etc) it was the same color for cost considerations ( see rocker panel color)

Also ,see another Cleveland guy ! Still have my " certificate of purchase " from Super Shops w117th for a 850 Holley I bought years ago.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2013, 09:16:02 PM »
.....snip..... How many of you even think I never owned a Camaro! Through all the posts I read about this....not one person  expressed actually ordering the Camaro (again, actually living the history, not having to research it). The tailpan was painted satin black. For those non believers you have your opinions. 
  Not sure where that is coming fro but nobody is doubting if you owned one or not. As for satin or semigloss......those two are very close in sheen and unless someone has a gloss meter each person will interpert it differently, if not the same. In the end I think most would agree it was not gloss and was, in fact, semigloss/satin/egg shell....whatever terminology you want to use. I personally believe the GM reconditioning black paint is the correct gloss for firewall/RS rockers and tail blackouts.

Mike

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 27, 2013, 10:06:42 PM »
FWIW..  Original paint 68 3D build L78 with 68K miles and has been garage kept all its life..

I can get better pics if needed..  

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 27, 2013, 11:16:03 PM »
For what it's worth here is a picture the original owner took in Dec. 1968, of his 09D 68 L-78.
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 28, 2013, 12:42:21 AM »
Why do we keep beating this to death?  At last we have some pics. to prove it was satin/ or/Semi-gloss. Even in VINCE Z28 photo, as small as the tail is, you can clearly see it is not as glossy as the rest of the car.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 28, 2013, 02:03:33 AM »
If the theory is the same black was used in many areas here is a firewall example not exposed to the elements.

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 28, 2013, 02:05:21 AM »
another

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 28, 2013, 03:27:54 AM »
  Not sure where that is coming fro but nobody is doubting if you owned one or not. As for satin or semigloss......those two are very close in sheen and unless someone has a gloss meter each person will interpert it differently, if not the same. In the end I think most would agree it was not gloss and was, in fact, semigloss/satin/egg shell....whatever terminology you want to use. I personally believe the GM reconditioning black paint is the correct gloss for firewall/RS rockers and tail blackouts.
[/quote]
Until better evidence presents itself, Mike..  I believe as you do..    reconditioning black... for all the 'black out' areas..
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 28, 2013, 03:57:30 AM »
How does the look of GM reconditioning black look compared to the pics I just posted ?

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 28, 2013, 04:03:04 AM »
Charley, So close I can't tell any difference from your photos to things I've painted with it, given that there will be small differences in gloss based on conditions and how it's sprayed.
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 28, 2013, 12:14:24 PM »
Before repainting my tail pan & rocker panels I searched for information on correct paint finish. There are many different opinions on what the correct gloss should be but when John mentioned the blackout paint was the same that prompted me to check that out. I have one picture here of rocker over spray on my car, second is the tail pan on a black 5K original paint car, third is a tail pan on a one owner 11K. The percentage of reflection from all 3 look the same even though it might not show in the photos.
I had to take multiple pictures at different angles to capture a picture that close to what I saw with my eye, so it is hard to determine paint gloss from random pictures.
I think the black 5K rear panel picture was the best for me in determining the correct percentage of gloss. George.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 28, 2013, 01:11:14 PM »
Let me pose this question.  Could it be that different gloss levels were used on different years?

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 28, 2013, 02:50:53 PM »
Probably not, it would come down to the manufacturing process and equipment available.  There was already a black gun in the blackout booth used for the firewall on all cars (suppossed to anyway), Why would they have a second black gun on hand that they would need to use  on the rockers of all style trim cars (probably 30% of production) and on Big blocks (probably 15% of production.  Whatever they used on the firewall (gloss, semigloss, satin) is more than likely what they used on the rockers and on the tail panel. More colors mean they need more piping installed to carry the paint, or local tanks in the booth to hold the paint, all for almost zero gain from a styling point of view.  did it really matter to GM or the customer if the paint was semi gloss, or gloss?  No, thats just the way it came.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 28, 2013, 03:03:02 PM »
I look at the pics above and they show reflections, as in they have a gloss. What I see people thinking is correct is a non reflective semi or satin.

anything