Author Topic: bad for our hobby?  (Read 14101 times)

Ron C.

• View Profile
bad for our hobby?
« on: June 30, 2007, 08:33:47 PM »
he clearly states he will add options to your tag no matter which ones!! Soon there will be 602 Z28s again!! how can we protect ourselves from this when its that good of a fake tag?? GM should stop him being he is useing their name.  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/65-66-67-Chevelle-Camaro-Impala-Nova-Trim-Cowl-Tag_W0QQitemZ330139535266QQihZ014QQcategoryZ10076QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
67Z/28,67RSZ/28,71SS454CHEVELLE.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Re: bad for our hobby?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 09:21:03 PM »
Apparently there are at least three people who don't care about the hobby: the seller and the two bidders.
Shame on all three!  >:(  >:(  >:(
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 09:28:52 PM »
its up to six bidders!
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

9T4Z

• View Profile
    • Gary's Camaro
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 03:24:32 AM »
 >:(  Someone once posted that "soon the only cars you can trust will be the NON-documented ones"   I would be afraid to buy another "numbers-car" unless it was from someone who has had it for a long time and that has been to numerous shows over many years.... ie has built up a modern day reputation as opposed to a car that suddenly appeared out of nowhere!
Gary 9T4Z

94Z rag blower 491 rwhp (now 505!)
69 Pace Car, 70RS,91Z,91RS

baldeaglemtnman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 02:24:05 PM »
   There is no limit to what you will see when it comes to what people will do to duplicate these cars. Simple economics----big demand and a small supply = big dollars. When the dollars get big enough you will see snake oil salesmen crawl out from under every rock to offer anything that anyone is desperate enough to pay for. This market wasn't created by the true car lovers or hobbyists. Thousands of people worldwide didn't just wake up one morning and decide they now love and can't live without a 1st generation Camaro. The Wall Street boys created this muscled car-crazed market because they couldn't make money fast enough with paper investments after the 90's dot com bust. They look at a garage full of classic cars the exact same way they look at their stock portfolio. They care little about anything other than their wallet -  and the auction houses like Barrett-Jackson are just their willing accomplices.

I guess I'm just pissed because I'm stuck in the middle of a project that's looking like it will never get finished because of the absurd price of parts.  Oh well, look at the good side. I've gone from being a greaser to a motorhead to an investor without doing anything any different. 

Thanks for letting me vent. That's just MHO.  I'm going up to the barn now and work on my portfolio.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 02:25:49 PM by baldeaglemtnman »
Steve

69 Z/28

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 11:31:29 PM »
  ...  Oh well, look at the good side. I've gone from being a greaser to a motorhead to an investor without doing anything any different. 

Thanks for letting me vent. That's just MHO.  I'm going up to the barn now and work on my portfolio.   ;D

I was going to chime in and give you tsk-tsk...but your self awareness at the end gave me pause and then I fell out of my chair laughing at the last sentence...So now I'd have to give you two snaps up. ;)

420GOAT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 04:16:04 PM »
do you mean i can't turn my 67 into a 383 ss/rs zz 28 with a 700r4 , fuel injected? man i feel robbed. ;) no really as soon as steel bodies were introduced the values dropped (IMO) and when people started cloning again i feel drops.......these days 90 percent of the people don't understand whats what........and tags don't truly matter anymore, except to those who really know and a small percentage of new cats...........old story always verify. most just buy what is cool to them and a true SS wont hold to an original six cylinder that has a higher quality build......but you guys know this already. as long as people are upfront then i feel tag away.....but to beguile someone is truly rotten.
I AM AT MY DESK MINUTES AWAY FROM THE BEACH, SAND, AND 420!!!

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 04:27:22 PM »
Baldeagle:

You are not alone in regards where this is leading to. A while back, and not really that long ago, alot of us expressed our concerns on how "we" have literally priced ourselves out of restoring these cars using original parts, not numbers matching!!!!!!! It was only a matter of time until someone came up with a cowl tag that looks so real you can not tell the difference from an actual original numbers matching car.  Now the only thing left is to create a vin tag that looks real put that on a car and get it register!!!!!!!!!!!

What have we done to ourselves!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

baldeaglemtnman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 10:30:21 PM »
Hey Dave,

I'd be interested in the marketing approach for reproduction VIN's.  While reproducing, buying or selling trim tags is certainly unethical, it is, unfortunately, not illegal, at least here in Pa.  However, tampering with VIN's and mileage will get you free room and board with no view and a girlfriend named Big Jake.  I believe those who alter the data of any vehicle to intentionally misrepresent it for financial gain should be held criminally liable----regardless of whether it's a VIN, mileage, cowl tag, stamped parts, or paperwork. The intent is all the same. To falsify records for financial gain.  And with the dollar amounts we are talking about, I think this would qualify as felony status in most states.  I have a few angles I'm going to pursue. I'll let you know if and how I make out.
Steve

69 Z/28

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 10:33:50 PM »
Although GM, i.e. Chevrolet, was / is in the business to sell new cars and not maintain records for collectors 38-40 years later, it sure would have been nice if they had.  Pontiac and GM Canada, for example, did maintain those records.  Consequently the original build of those cars is still traceable through the VIN.  You don't hear too many concerns originating fromt the GTO camp regarding cloned vehicles and repro tags because the history and original records still exist.  Oh what could have been.....
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 10:38:27 PM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 12:52:09 AM »
As long as there is a buck to be made, someone, somewhere, someday will find a way to do it without getting caught. Just a matter of time unfortunately.
Hey I got a 67 Clone, rebuilt engine (350), tranny(powerglide), new engine,interior and rear end wire harnesses. New tires, tilt, pb ps . What am I offered  :D

Dave

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 02:12:00 AM »

I guess I'm just pissed because I'm stuck in the middle of a project that's looking like it will never get finished because of the absurd price of parts.      ;D

Ditto that.

68Z28

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 02:19:44 AM »
Looks like this tag went "Down Under".  Our Aussie friends need to watch out for it!
Also, he's got 68 tags, as well.  GM really ought to put a stop to this.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 03:21:56 PM »
Only one state has passed a law making it illegal to use, create, sell, or alter trim tags for 1953-1977 cars; it was Oklahoma Senate Bill #739, which became Section 4-107a of Title 47, Oklahoma Statutes, which was signed into law in April and becomes effective on November 1, 2007.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 04:07:44 PM »
That bill was pushed thru by a member of this site (and Camaros.net, and Yenkos.net as well).  Now we need to get similar bills submitted in each of the other 49 states.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11