Author Topic: 69 Camaro X codes, did they make SS's without them in june?  (Read 11134 times)

69CONVRAT

• View Profile
I have a 69 with an 06A build date from the Norwood plant and no X code on the data plate. I thought they were on all Camaros after the early part of the build cycle. The car is supposed to be an SS big block, and all the old timers who claim they knew the car when it was new agree it is, but there isn't an X code to prove it. The car has all the right parts and date codes, but the block is a May 69 CE code so can't prove anything is real. I haven't found the VIN on the trans (th400) but the car has 60k original on it so I would think it could be the original. The 12 bolt has five leafs and the code was right for the engine type. It won't kill me if it is not real but I would like to have accurate info on the car when people ask me about it.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 69 Camaro X codes, did they make SS's without them in june?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 12:23:01 AM »
Based on your 'handle' I assume this is a convert. For some reason converts missing X codes in the May-June time frame are not unusual.

If the trans is OE the VIN may be stamped on the LH edge of the trans mounting flange-where it bolts to the cylinder block. Tough to see and some cleaning may be needed but it is usually quite visible.
Learning more and more about less and less...

69CONVRAT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 12:37:58 AM »
You guys on here are pretty sharp! I've had the car for 8 years and have wondered about a couple of things you fine folks were able to answer in minutes!!!!!!!! The car is a convertible. Did any small block cars have th400's? Does the rear axle have a vin on it anywhere? It would be nice to find something with a vin that only a big block car would have. (axle has the big block code for 375/396 and 427) Also did any of the small block cars have the bigger fuel line? Thanks again for the great info...

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 12:46:42 AM »
No T400/small blocks for 1st gen cars-if it was built with one it had to be a bb.

Rear axles did not have a VIN stamp. There is a casting date on the back of the axle center section. The axle code is on the front of the RH axle tube, about in the middle.

All Quadrajet equipped SS cars [L34, L35, L48] had two fuel lines, supply and return. L78 [375 hp] SS cars had Holley carbs and will have just one.

69CONVRAT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 01:03:27 AM »
The car has a Holley and one fuel line. (it is 3/8) It is the 375/396 with the aluminum heads. I looked up the axle code once and remember it was a B something for the 375/396 and 427 with the Eaton posi 4:10. Should the axle date code preceed the car body date code? I'm going to start looking for the codes again. I guess I know why people are always trying to buy the car from me when I take it out. I used to be a big GTO guy and find it hard to find some of this info on the Camaro's. It'd be nice if you could get the build sheets like the Pontiac guys can get through PHS.

sam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 02:01:30 AM »
Sounds like a nice, rare car. I would personally have Jerry MacNeish look at it if it was mine. Then there is NO guessing.  Sam

69CONVRAT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 02:22:05 AM »
How do I get in touch with Jerry and what state does he live in?

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 03:25:39 AM »

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 04:19:29 AM »
There is no axle code that's specific to any engine (except COPO's).
If you post what you have (vin, tag, axle, and trans), we can probably help.
http://www.camaros.org/drivetrain.shtml will help you.
Kurt S
CRG

69CONVRAT

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 05:42:32 PM »
Sorry a little late in getting back on here. The block is a 396 272 casting with the CE suffix code and May casting date, and has the 074 aluminum heads, the trans I have not found the codes yet but is a TH400, the rear axle has the BV with the eaton posi. The cowl tag only shows the body, top, and interior colors and nothing else besides the build date of the first week of june. The vin is 124679N658xxx. The car seems to have all the 396 components, big single fuel line, disk brakes, heater box with gasket still behind it, 5 leaf springs, 12 bolt, TH400 etc. The car has power steering and all the brackets, pulleys, and fan look like original GM parts. Let me knoe if there are any other numbers anywhere that maybe useful and I will try to get them. Thanks for everyones help.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 03:10:15 AM »
What is the complete axle code?
Kurt S
CRG

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 12:25:12 PM »
The TH400 codes are on a tag about 2" square riveted to the transmission on the passenger side.  Should start with the letter a C followed by another letter then 4 or 5 digits.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11