Author Topic: Rear Main Seal leak  (Read 4676 times)

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
Rear Main Seal leak
« on: June 13, 2007, 08:58:37 PM »
I have the traditional rear main seal oil drip on my 69 Z 302. Engine runs well, so this is just an annoyance. Can this be fixed removing only the pan, oil pump, and rear main cap?, i.e. without major disassembly. And with a high degree of confidence it will not leak again? Or live with it? Adding oil is no big deal, but it gets oil all over the bottom of the engine/trans, the major cause of my annoyance. Thanks.

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Main Seal leak
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 03:16:16 AM »
It can be done,  Have done this job many times.  Usually does the trick but in general these rear main seals are not perfect.  There is always a tad of minor seepage.  If it's a bad leak, I would replace it.

Good luck,

JM

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 12:15:45 PM »
Thanks Jerry. It's not bad, I can live with it. I was just wondering if there is some "secret' or "trick" to insure it will not leak again if I re-did it. I had the motor redone many years ago by a "professional", and it was leaking again in 3 months. So much for my clean undercarriage!! Maybe small blocks, like dogs, like to leave their mark!

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

pickelnose

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 11:30:07 PM »
this has worked for me.stagger the ends of the seal about 1/4 inch so the seal ends are in the block and not with the parting line of the cap to block.also use a small amount of gasket sealent on the cap beside the seal where it mates with the block so oil cant seep between the cap and block.