Author Topic: Rear Stripes - again  (Read 37258 times)

asm69

• View Profile
Re: Rear Stripes - again
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2007, 04:55:45 PM »
John Z.

Thanks for your comments. From what I see the rear spoiler was dealer installed. There is no camaro emblem
on the rear deck lid. But, from underneath the deck lid I do see brazing where the holes may have been for the
camaro emblem. It may be possible that the dealer painted the stripes. But, again from the CRG website the
evidence leads me to believe that it was factory stripes. Evidence such as under the front cowl panel where the
wiper motor arms are located is painted white. The stripes do not have a clean line where they end under the hood
or the rear deck lid.

What are the possibilities that the only mask available when my car came down the line was a mask for a vehicle
with a rear spoiler ordered. And maybe due to production pressures they used it because the correct longer mask
was not available yet. (just like using the shorter rear spoiler because the longer rear spoiler was not available).

John Z. I just look at the springs for my rear deck lid. I noticed that one spring has a larger diameter that the other
I also noted that there is a rubber insulater on the larger spring and that there is orange overspray on the rubber
insulator as well as the spring. Does this have any significance.

I have attached some pics displaying the stripes ending unevenly as well as showing the front cowl wher the wiper
motor arms reside painted white. I have also included a pic showing what I believe is brazing where the camaro
rear deck emblem may have been.

Valleyhugger

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2007, 04:56:16 PM »
Decklid pic

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2007, 04:57:16 PM »
Sorry, Deck lid pic

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007, 10:52:01 AM »
If you have brazing material in the original holes, then the trunklid or at least the paint on it is not original,  The factory did not braze the original emblem holes shut when a spoiler was installed they just put a peice of tape over each hole and bolted the spoiler over it, and I doubt that a dealer would do that either, since it would require the lid to be repainted.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2007, 02:34:56 PM »
Thanks for your comments Mark. I believe that there was a thread discussing that when the dealer installed a rear spoiler they
removed the Camaro emblem due to it being installed at a lower point on the rear deck lid and would be in the way of a
the dealer spoiler installation. The dealer then brazed over the holes.

I wonder if the dealer brazed over the holes would this mean he would also paint the entire deck lid and rear stripes?

Valleyhugger

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2007, 02:23:04 AM »
I wonder if the dealer brazed over the holes would this mean he would also paint the entire deck lid and rear stripes?

Valleyhugger

The presence of brazed-shut holes definitely indicates that the deck lid was repainted when the dealer (or owner) installed the spoiler.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2007, 06:03:12 AM »
So, because the decklid is painted all the way down to the end. I guess I can assume that
the factory painted the stripes, and the dealer or someone else installed the rear spoiler.

I have to ask this again.

What is the possibility that the masking that was used was for a car with a factory installed
spoiler. So when my car came down the line in order to make the masking work, the factory
moved the masking downward  in order to have the stripes go all the way down the trunk lid.
Thus, you have the extra space between the top of the stripes and the bottom of the rear glass.
Maybe this happened because the proper masking was not available yet.

Valleyhugger

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2007, 10:32:06 AM »
What is the correct trunk lid striping for a Z-28 with a spoiler?

A: If the spoiler was installed at the factory:

The paint stripes go over the spoiler, and end at the bottom of the spoiler (and therefore not on the back lip of the trunk lid)
The Camaro trunk lid emblem was moved forward, up the trunk lid, from station 125.00 to station 121.73, a distance of 3.27 inches, and the Z stripe was masked (1967-68 only) around the emblem.
If the spoiler was installed by the dealer:
The stripes were painted on the trunk lid at the factory and thus, without a spoiler, run all the way through to the lip of the lid. The dealer installed spoiler was attached over the factory stripes and then the dealer painted the spoiler to match.
The dealer did not relocate the Camaro emblem.

As Gary stated earlier, for whatever the reason, it's not right.  I believe it was improperly done in the 19 years before you got the car.

I have a 72 72 car with black stripes instead of white.   Yes, I know it's wrong, but I'm happy with it.  It's your car do what you want to with it.   8)
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2007, 02:12:20 PM »
asm69, with all due respect it appears you want to repaint the way it is now. Go ahead, it is your car. Sounds like you are trying to rationalize something wrong. If you do it you will have to endure people coming up to you at a show and talking about the wrong stripes. A copule of years ago I told this lady at a show how wrong the "Caution Fan" sticker was on her nicely restored Pace car. Well, Year One sold her the sticker and assured her it was corect. Good luck and have fun.:)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 03:01:29 AM by GaryL »
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2007, 08:38:14 PM »
Thanks for the information WYKOFF69Z and GaryL. I agree with the comments regarding the how rear stripes at the
factory were painted. And Yes, the stripes on my Z run all the way through to the lip of the rear lid, as indicated by
WYKOFF69Z and the CRG forum. The Camaro emblem was not relocated, but the holes were brazed by someone.

I'm just trying to find out under what circumstances this rear stripping oddity could of happened. I have had the
car since the 1972 or 1973. When I bouht the car the paint was only five years old. I dont think the previous
had it painted and I dont see any evidence of an accident. I only see that one rally rim is a "YH", a later production
wheel, the rest of the rims are "AD" rims and are dated correctly. So, I know something happened to one rim.

If it is truly an oddity or a mistake in production for the reasons that I suggested before, then so be it, just like the short
spoilers are a type of oddity on 69z's. So, when and if I repaint the car, I'll decide then as to how to have the
rear stripes done.

valleyhugger

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2007, 10:05:20 PM »
My 2¢'s worth. If you beleive you have a rarity, and it sounds like you do, Document as well as possible before you do anything.

After that, do what works for you, it's your car.

Post photos when your done, and ENJOY!

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2007, 04:52:10 AM »
Tom,

Thanks for your comments. I dont know if I have a rarity or not. But, it's an oddity as I said before like a 1968 rear
spoiler on a 1969 camaro. Maybe other owners of early camaro's also had this odd painting scheme for the rear
stripes, but felt that it was'nt right and had the stripes repainted to match the others. This topic reminds me of a
similiar CRG thread where owners of early 69 camaro's were removing their short spoilers to install the longer 69 spoiler
because it was reported that the short spoiler was improper, until the facts came out that Chevrolet had actually used
the short spoiler due to the longer spoiler was not yet available.

So, again, maybe my vehicle had a similar issue. That issue is that the rear stripe mask for a vehicle with a spoiler was
used on a car that was ordered with no spoiler, and in order to complete the stripe down the lip of the trunk lid, they
moved in down as needed. And thus what you have is the extra space between the top of the stripe and the bottom of
the rear glass. By the way, the extra space matches the width of the spoiler. 

Valleyhugger

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2007, 03:52:43 PM »
So, again, maybe my vehicle had a similar issue. That issue is that the rear stripe mask for a vehicle with a spoiler was
used on a car that was ordered with no spoiler, and in order to complete the stripe down the lip of the trunk lid, they
moved in down as needed. And thus what you have is the extra space between the top of the stripe and the bottom of
the rear glass.

There was only one mask for the stripes; on a spoiler car, they just taped a piece of masking paper across the bottom of it between the two rows of spoiler attaching holes. On a non-vinyl top car, they located the top end of it from the bottom of the rear window opening, and on a vinyl top car, they located it from the line of weld studs for the vinyl top molding.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2007, 05:10:20 PM »
John,

You mention that there was one mask for the stripes on a spoiler car.
What about the mask for the stripes on a non-spoiler car? How did
this mask differ?

Is it possilbe then that the mask for a spoiler car could have been
used on a non-spoiler car?

What would the factory do if a non-spoiler car came down the line
and the only masks available were for spoiler cars?

If the factory did decide to use this mask on a non-spoiler car then the
only way to make it work at all would be to move it down so that the
lip of the rear lid would be painted.

Valleyhugger

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2007, 06:53:54 PM »
if there were no holes on the deck lid, they painted to the end of the deck lid.
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

anything