Author Topic: Rear Stripes - again  (Read 37113 times)

asm69

• View Profile
Rear Stripes - again
« on: May 29, 2007, 12:44:30 AM »
To Jerry,

I had an earlier post regarding the rear stripes on a early build 1969 z28 (october 1968).
The stripes begin under the rear glass as though it had come with a vinyl top. The trim
tag under the hood does not support the vinyl top theory. The spoiler has the tell tale
signs of being dealer installed. Have you ever seen this before? I also do not see any signs
of an accident.

So if you can help me solve why the stripes start lower than other 69Z's without a vinyl
top, I would appreciate it.

Pics attached.

Valleyhugger

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Stripes - again
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 02:25:54 AM »
Valleyhugger,

I have never seen any original cars like the photo of yours, so I don't know what the answer is.  Is your car suppose to be original paint?  Without me seeing the car in person it would be hard for me to establish any kind of answer for you.  Sorry.

Jerry

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 03:04:47 AM »
Jerry,

Yes, as far as I know it is the original paint. The Stripes are even irregular where they end under the hood cowl and where
they end under the trunk lik. I believe I was the second owner. I have had the car for about 20
years. Maybe there was a mix up at the factory or maybe the stripes were painted by the dealer. Here is
the trim tag information.

ST 69      12437      LOS131478   BDY
TR 711               72  72   PNT
    OD            U471

So, my plans are to paint it the same original colors. Do you think that I should maintain the rear stripes as they
are or update the stripes according to the camaro communities sentiment.

Valleyhugger

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 03:57:58 AM »
It probably should be painted the correct way.
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 04:20:30 PM »
It's unlikely that the plant painted the stripes that way - they knew where the stripes were supposed to start relative to the window opening, and if it was a vinyl top car, there was a line of weld studs across the tulip panel for the molding for them to work from. This car didn't have a vinyl top, so there would be no reason to start the stripes so far from the window opening.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 07:56:07 PM »
Are the length's of 1968 stripes shorter that those for the 1969?

Is the 1968 camaro rear portion (bottom of rear glass to end of trunk lid)
shorter when compared to the 1969 camaro?

If they are could the 1968 stripe stencil been used instead of the
the 1969 stencils. I only bring that point up due to the fact that I
have the shorter 1968 spoiler installed.

Another point is that it appears that the dealer may have installed
the rear spoiler (spoiler facts found on crg website). I'm not sure
if the stripes were painted at the dealer or not.

Valleyhugger

thodl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 03:02:23 PM »
I am having a '68 Z28 painted and am looking for the dimensions of stripes for the painter. any drawings or dimensions out there???

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 02:59:12 AM »
I am having a '68 Z28 painted and am looking for the dimensions of stripes for the painter. any drawings or dimensions out there???

Best thing you can do it spend $50 for the template kit.
Gary

69er

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 04:50:19 AM »
John Z.

What are the possibilities that the stripes were to be installed on a camaro with
a factory installed spoiler. I noticed that the width of the spoiler almost matches
the extra space between the top of the stripe and the bottom of the rear glass.

It appears that my spoiler was dealer installed (no camaro emblem on the trunk lid). The
stripes on my camaro go all the way down the trunk lid.

So, what I am saying is could the factory worker have received the stencil that was to
be for a factory installed spoiler. But, he notices that the build order for the camaro has no
rear spoiler. But, he still uses the same stencil but moves it down so that the entire
trunk lid is laid with a stripe, but now leaves that extra space between the top of the stripe
and the bottom of the rear glass.

Let me know what you think, I hope I was clear.

Valleyhugger

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 05:51:08 PM »
I find in hard to believe that's the original paint.   Looks good for almost forty years old.  Maybe the stripes were just improperly installed when it was painted.   ???
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 12:27:22 AM »
As far as I know it is the original paint. You cannot see the imperfections in the paint, but after all those years sitting
in a one car garage, paint will start to fade and crack. And yes, I agree with you I think a mistake was
made and no more than that. I was just trying to find out if that is possible. And if it is possible then
why not repaint it again with the same mistake.

Its the history of the car.

Valleyhugger

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 04:35:13 AM »
......... And yes, I agree with you I think a mistake was
made and no more than that. I was just trying to find out if that is possible. And if it is possible then
why not repaint it again with the same mistake.

Its the history of the car.

Valleyhugger

While you are right it possibly could be history, it just is not right. It would look odd. Paint it the right way. In no way is painting the correct stripes over-restoring. JMHO.  :)
Gary

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 06:12:32 AM »
I agree with you that it's not right compared to the majority of production. But, in the same respects early
1969 Z28's like mine had the shorter 1968 spoiler installed. And to some that looks odd as well. It would
be very interesting to find out if other early 1969 Z28's had the same mistake made with the rear striping.

Jerry would probably be the person in the position of possiblly seeing this oddity somewhere else.
I know it is odd but maybe mine is not the only one.

valleyhugger

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2007, 03:25:19 PM »
John Z.

What are the possibilities that the stripes were to be installed on a camaro with
a factory installed spoiler. I noticed that the width of the spoiler almost matches
the extra space between the top of the stripe and the bottom of the rear glass.

It appears that my spoiler was dealer installed (no camaro emblem on the trunk lid). The
stripes on my camaro go all the way down the trunk lid.

So, what I am saying is could the factory worker have received the stencil that was to
be for a factory installed spoiler. But, he notices that the build order for the camaro has no
rear spoiler. But, he still uses the same stencil but moves it down so that the entire
trunk lid is laid with a stripe, but now leaves that extra space between the top of the stripe
and the bottom of the rear glass.

Let me know what you think, I hope I was clear.

Valleyhugger

Not likely. If the car was ordered with a spoiler, it would have had the holes already drilled in the deck lid for the spoiler when it arrived in the Paint Shop, just as it would have had the weld studs on the tulip panel if it was ordered with a vinyl top; both of those were "clues" to the painters for how to position the front of the mask and how to terminate the stripes at the rear. If the mask was mis-positioned at the front as yours shows, it wouldn't have left the plant that way - it would have stuck out like a sore thumb and would have been corrected in Paint Repair.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2007, 03:35:06 PM »
I agree with you that it's not right compared to the majority of production. But, in the same respects early
1969 Z28's like mine had the shorter 1968 spoiler installed. And to some that looks odd as well. It would
be very interesting to find out if other early 1969 Z28's had the same mistake made with the rear striping.

Jerry would probably be the person in the position of possiblly seeing this oddity somewhere else.
I know it is odd but maybe mine is not the only one.

valleyhugger

My 02D has the short spoiler also. JohnZ's 02D has a short spoiler also, I believe. I think the "oddity" thing is carried too far sometimes like there was no quality control at all back in the 60's. :-X
Gary

anything