Author Topic: General advise needed  (Read 6361 times)

jkkrs310

• View Profile
General advise needed
« on: May 24, 2007, 05:07:16 PM »
I'm a brand new member and would greatly appreciate your input.

I just purchased a 1969 Camaro RS Coupe.  No rust, body is straight, enigine is now 350 with I believe a column shift 3 spd trans.  It has a black deluxe interior with power windows, tilt wheel, rosewood dash, and rear defroster.  Interior needs work and exterior is primer.

I was planning to restore fully to a pro-touring car but looking at all the money I would spend I was questioning whether not not to start off with a SS/RS or Z-28 and do a back to stock restoration.

My questions:  Is it worth to dump this much money in a RS car?  What does everyone think of a pro-touring Camrao.....is it something that not very desired?

Also, what engine come in a Camaro RS, 327? or 350? or both?

Do you know what kind of transmission I have based on the description above and is it worthwhile to keep?

Thanks for your input in advance. 

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
Re: General advise needed
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 08:22:32 PM »
You might find the discussion at the following link interesting:

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=1492.0

As for myself, I will admit that I am biased to keeping these cars original along with the fact that my ride is a '69 RS Coupe, 327/210 base engine, Powerglide, 2.73:1 open differential.  From a performance perspective, nothing special, but like your car, well optioned including Z22 Rally Sport, Z87 Custom Interior, N40 Power Steering, N44 Special Ratio Steering, N34 Rosewood Steering Wheel, N33 Tilt column, U16/U17 gages, D55 console, D80 spoilers, J50 power assist brakes, N10 dual exhaust, etc. 

Although not a ground pounder I like my ride the way it is because.... a RS is not simply the base car with hideaway headlights and a couple of badges. 

The differences between a RS and the standard body included (in 1969):

different outer fenders, different inner fenders, different grille, hideaway headlights (based on vacuum actuated, articulating, headlight mounting bracket to rotate the headlight covers in and back in the open position), inner and outer headlight door covers, vacuum cannisters, mounting brackets for the vacuum cannisters, vacuum reservoir, relay valve and the associated vacuum lines, different headlight switch with vacuum hose connections, different windshield wiper switch (2 dentent positions, first detent routes water to the windshield washer nozzles, second detent routes water to the headlight washer nozzles which spray water on the headlights), headlight washer nozzles, diverter valve on the windshield washer pump, water tubing from the diverter valve to the headlight washers, and even a difference in the front header panel to accomodate the headlight washers themselves --- even down to the miniscule items like the bracket that holds the windshield washer bottle - it is in a different location on a RS.  And this doesn't include the Style Trim RPO Z21 items that are a part of RPO Z22, the RS package.

It is very true that a base V8 RS Camaro is not valued as highly as a Z28 or other high performance variants.   However, a nice 69 RS has reasonable value and they are not that easy to find.  You seem to see SS/RS and Z28/RS cars (or clones based off of original RS cars) all the time.  Don't see too many RS cars in Hemmings or other sources thiese days.  Hope you keep it as the General built it.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 08:42:03 PM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

jkkrs310

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 08:50:06 PM »
Thanks Rich,

Appreciate the feedback.  Question:

Was it possible to have a RS with a 350?  I see a lot with 327.

And

What are the coorect stripes for a '69 RS like yours and mine?  Or maybe no stripe.  I saw a few with the twin stripes down the center of the vehicle, I believe the Z-28 stripes. 

Thansk!

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 09:21:09 PM »
Fender striping (RPO D96) was part of the RS package (at least for the first half of the year).  See the following:  http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=32.0  Other stiping packages could be special ordered, but only one striping option per car.  The double stripes on the hood and deck lid were Z28 (and as noted in post below Z10 amd Z11) from the factory.  My car has these stripes (been that way since I bought the car in 1991) and although they look good, it is incorrect.  A Z28/RS combination coud have them, but not a RS only.

As I understand it (and I'll defer to those who are much more familiar with the 350 and SS packages), LM1 and L65 were both 350, non SS Camaro engines in 1969.  See the following:  http://www.camaros.org/lm1.shtml  So yes, RS in combination with a LM1 or L65 engine would be a RS, 350 car.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 05:03:44 AM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 03:14:54 AM »
The double stripes on the hood and deck lid were Z28 only from the factory. 

Z10s and Z11s had these stripes too!   :)

Paul

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 05:04:58 AM »
Paul,

Thanks for keeping me straight - I've corrected my post above.

Richard
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 05:14:48 AM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 10:41:02 PM »
Your welcome Richard.

Paul