Author Topic: wiped cam lobe ?  (Read 7407 times)

bob69

• View Profile
wiped cam lobe ?
« on: May 08, 2007, 12:44:27 AM »
I  had a noise coming from my valve cover, when I checked it out I found a rocker laying there, rocker looked ok , but the pushrod was about an inch lower than it should be, pulled the rod and it was ok. I only have about 500-1,000 miles on new motor. I did everything I was suppose to too break it in. Could it have been a bad one out of the box ? Any ideas Thanks Bob

sam

• View Profile
Re: wiped cam lobe ?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 12:55:28 AM »
Seems like this has been happening lately. Maybe a bad batch of cams? BB or SB?

zdld17

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 01:47:24 AM »
This is a common thing now that much of the oil additives , zinc , ZDDP properties that are taken out of todays oil due to oil properties plugging up cats on newer cars.    Could have been wearing for some time but mostly at start up of inital installations.     Right way to do this is use the moly paste on cam and lifters along with some type of oil that has the zinc in it as Shell Rotella or Delo and or the race oils on the market .  Also recommended is a can of GM EOS ( engine oil supplement) .   After break in for 30 min or running  for some 500 miles, oil can be changed but I would try to stay with the a good oil with these friction additives as mentioned above.   Not saying there are no bad cam cores but the oil is a large factor. 
Don Dabbs

camaromikey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 03:01:15 AM »
i heard that rotella changed its formula and took out the zinc

zdld17

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 11:26:07 AM »
Not all of it was taken out as this is still a diesel based oil but little is better than nothing.   I understand that the motor oils labeled as Race oil, were exempt to this zinc removal.  There should be a disclaimer notice that the maker is not responsilable for cat replacements as the other oil companies are.   One shure way to get zinc into the system, is  on each oil change,  add the GM EOS (engine oil supplement).  This stuff has been around for some 30 years.  It works. 
Don Dabbs

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 05:22:29 PM »
We use EOS with every engine that we build for customers and have been using it personally since the 1970s.

Good stuff!

Jerry

bob69

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 05:22:55 PM »
 Thanks Sam, To answer your ? sb 302 30 30  cam, It's a federal mogul speed pro cs-118R. What cams have been given people problems? Do you Know if federal mogal stands behind there stuff. Thanks Bob

sam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 06:27:52 PM »
Could not tell you that Bob. Maybe go on their website. We used a Crane spec cam in my motor. It has been 5 years now and maybe 2,500 miles  with no problems. I thought that I remember hearing Jerry and the boys not recommending EOS after break-in, but I may be wrong on that.

anything