Author Topic: fuel gauge sender ground wire location  (Read 526 times)

RAS68

• View Profile
fuel gauge sender ground wire location
« on: November 07, 2023, 11:52:04 PM »
My question is about the correct location for the fuel gauge sender unit ground wire for 1968 SS coupe. I know it is supposed to be attached to the outside of the tank strap structure on the passenger side. But my tank strap ground is on the inside part of the tank strap structure on the drivers side. I know the gas tank has been replaced. I have checked the passenger side tank strap holder and there is no evidence that a ground wire was ever attached there (no hole for screw). The ground wire looks original with correct inner diameter "star" like pattern. The screw itself may be original ( I need to check that again). So I am wondering if anyone has seen any variation in the position of this ground wire? My car has a late July build date for 1968.
Thanks,
Allen
'68 SS L34 07C NOR

169INDY

• View Profile
Re: fuel gauge sender ground wire location
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2023, 02:05:13 AM »
NO.
"has seen any variation in the position of this ground wire?"

The (Twin)  Underside Trunk floor Tank Straps were ALL made the Same including the Ground hole punched.
Your Ground wire from the Tank sender is routed to the PASS side Strap and associated hole iaw AIM
UPC 8 / B4 Page # 124
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2023, 03:11:35 AM »
Without  dropping the tank, you’ll never know. It could have a spliced in extension.pictures always help. From the blue book. Interestingly enough, the list the 6 cylinder with a different part number.

RAS68

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2023, 01:10:36 PM »
Thanks for the input to both of you. I guess my Trunk floor has been replaced. Its a good job though and hard to tell.
'68 SS L34 07C NOR