Author Topic: Rear end stamp  (Read 3613 times)

68bird

• View Profile
Rear end stamp
« on: May 07, 2007, 01:49:16 AM »
Alright guys....i know this is the camaro forum but as you all know they are very similar to the firebirds....which is what a have...a 68 firebird.  I found the stamp off of my rear axle but i cannot match it to any coding online.  I asked the firebird forums and they said it was nothing they new of and told me try the camaros.  So i am hoping you all can help me.  It doesnt sound like its the original rear end seeing as i cant match it up but then i have no idea what its out of.  The stamp says JG G056 2.  I know it is a 10-bolt...but a 10 bolt what?  If you guys could help me that would be great.  Thanks

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rear end stamp
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 02:16:41 AM »
Doesn't sound like a Firebird code.  68 Firebirds have about 16 different axle codes, 7 start with X  (XB, XC XD, XE, XF, XG, and XN) 9 start with Z (ZB, ZC, ZD, ZE, ZF, ZM, ZN, ZP and ZR).  Which axle tube is it on, drivers facing the back, or passenger facing the front?

JG is a code for a 2.73 axle from a 1973 X- body (Olds Omega, Pontiac Ventura, or Buick Apollo - not a Nova axle code). Whatever it is it is using the post 1971 GM coding pattern and was assembled at the GM gear and axle plant in Detroit on the 56th day of the year during the night  shift.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 02:25:55 AM by Mark »
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

68bird

• View Profile
Re: Rear end stamp
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 02:42:42 AM »
Yeah...that is what i was finding for the firebirds.  The stamp is the passenger side facing the front.   Seeing as you pretty know your sh**, is there anyway to tell if it is a 7.5, 8.2, or 8.5?  Thanks a lot man.