Author Topic: 68 Ralley Sport hideaway headlights  (Read 9197 times)

rlost49

• View Profile
68 Ralley Sport hideaway headlights
« on: December 12, 2005, 01:46:03 AM »
I just restored my original 68 RS/SS,Iam having a problem with the hideaway headlight assembly.[1]The inner fender has to have a hole cut in it to accept the bellcrank assembly.But my new inner fenders have no holes for the bellcrank to go thourgh.Does anybode have any pictures of these hole locations above and below of the inner fender???? and [2] does anyone know what the adaptors for the fenders are suppose to do?? when installing RS headlights,I bought them but my seem to have them on the fenders anyway.Thanks guys for any help

Ralph

ccargo

• View Profile
Re: 68 Ralley Sport hideaway headlights
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 04:27:47 AM »
Ralph, the adaptors are for conversion of non RS fenders. You dont need them. Yes you will need to cut holes for the bell crank in the new inner fenders. I guess you dont have the old ones or are doing a conversion? The location will be easy to find when you install the buckets. I'd take a photo of mine but thats a tough spot to get a shot of when installed. Maybe someone has a photo of a 68 RS inner that can share?
67 O-1 O4A L35 Convertible, Indy Zone IPC

68rsssrag

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 05:52:42 AM »
I just did mine. The photos aren't much help other than orienting yourself. The install is best done with the fenders and wheelwells in place and the car on a lift so you can install parts, drill and proceed without killing your back.

You need to install the door without bellcrank, instead drop in a 1/2" bolt 1 1/2" long to locate the crank hole for the wheelwell. Drill this 1 1/4"...yes it is that big if you want to get the crank through the hole. This hole should be overlapping the slanted part of the wheelwells by about 1/4" so use a holesaw with a 2" arbor to guide your cut.

Then install the crank. Attach the front pivot support to the crank and locate the 2 bolt holes attaching it to the very front of the wheelwell. This pivot bracket should be at about a 45 degree angle to the leading edge of the wheelwells and not cover the 1/2" hole that is there already.

Then preassemble the actuator can plus the rear cross support. Attach this to the crank and with a buddy holding it steady, mark the 3 holes for the rear cross brace. NB; the outside edge of the brace must be clear the of the inner edge of the fender extension. It is a good idea to check the fit of the plastic shrouds at this time to be sure you have the brace in the correct place vertically at this time.

One other hint, when mocking this up use the bushings and wavvy washers to get the slop out of the linkage. And don't forget to drill 2 holes for the RS turn signal wires that go through the wheelwells back of the linkage.

Good luck.

Arno

rlost49

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 11:29:53 PM »
Well thanks Arno, I wasn't to sure if I was suppose to go into the slanted part of the wheelwell. But Thanks again.I wish I had some kind of picture to get the full Idea,but this we'll have to do.   

Ralph

68rsssrag

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 11:45:46 PM »
Good luck Ralph.

BTW you do not need to install the whole door assembly but just the back bucket frame...makes it less cluttered. This bucket frame is where the main pivot shaft runs through and is located by the bottom hole and bolted on top. Dropping in the big bolt makes sure you mark the centerline, mark it with a grease pecil and recheck.

Transfer the mark to the underside of the wheelwells and drill from the underside.

Arno

SS375HP

• View Profile
    • LUCAS-RESTORATIONS
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 03:46:34 PM »
If I've done this right, here are a couple photos comparing 68 RS and non RS inner fenders. I circled the "extra" RS holes. Adding all of the "extra" holes in the correct location while the inner fenders are installed is not an easy task, but it is possible.
British Green
68 L78
Phoenix, Maryland
www.lucas-restorations.com

68rsssrag

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 07:15:09 AM »
Looks good to me all holes are present and accounted for.

Cheers

Arno