Author Topic: Heater Hose Replacement in AC Equipped 1967  (Read 1861 times)

FLA-67RS

• View Profile
Heater Hose Replacement in AC Equipped 1967
« on: January 08, 2023, 03:36:19 AM »
I have a 1967 RS with factory AC and will be replacing the heater hoses. I have read that the inner fender needs to be moved to access the lower connection to the heater core at the firewall. Any guidance on how to best access this connection is appreciated.
1967 RS - LOS 12A Grenada Gold with Gold Interior
Rare Options - AS1 Shoulder Harness, AS2 Headrests, A67 Folding Rear Seat, C50 Rear Defogger, C60 Air Conditioning

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: Heater Hose Replacement in AC Equipped 1967
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 03:07:43 PM »
Either take the fender and inner off all together or remove the inner by dropping it from underneath.  Not terribly hard just time consuming.  Protect the fender paint with tape etc and just pay attention to what you are doing.  Also don't forget to pull the battery.  67 is a little unique as it has the A/C lines pass through the inner fender IIRC so you will have to pay around those or bust the system open.  Or It might be just as easy to pull the fender and attack it from overhead.

FLA-67RS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 02:23:07 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I think I will try by just removing the inner fender first.
Rare Options - AS1 Shoulder Harness, AS2 Headrests, A67 Folding Rear Seat, C50 Rear Defogger, C60 Air Conditioning

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 01:57:14 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I think I will try by just removing the inner fender first.
I work on these cars and others everyday. The inner does not just come out like other models. Look at how it is designed, sandwiched and installed in multiple places. 

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2023, 07:31:21 PM »
Aaaahhhh….it’s time to get the old  block of wood out. It’s tight, and anyone who’s done it can attest. From the Chevy Chassis Service Manual

FLA-67RS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 02:32:37 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. Found the following in the 1967 Chassis Service Manual:

Camaro
Lower Heater Hose Removal
1. Drain radiator.
2. Remove side mouldings and retainers.
3. Remove lower fender attaching bolts.
4. Remove skirt to fender and skirt to reinforcement
bolts.
5. pry the skirt away from the fender flange and away
from the firewall. Block the skirt (four inch length
of 2 x 4) clear of the lower hose and proceed with
the hose replacement.
Installation
1. Connect the hose.
2. Remove the block, move the skirt into position and
install all attaching bolts.
3. Replace fender attaching bolts and mouldings.
4. Refill cooling system.

Sounds like a b#*^h to replace but I'm going to try without removing the outer fender.

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 05:12:44 AM »
It sucks regardless. Back in the day, we would mark a square area, cut 3 of 4 sides with a whiz-wheel, peel it down, replace the dead fan blower motor or heater hose, push it back up, seal the gap, enjoy the heat again. I always tried doing it the factory way first, but rusted and corroded bolts with rounded heads inevitably made the owner make the decision. Absolutely horrible design.

PB Blast everything for at least 1 day before. Start a timer, document it so we can see it, change the blower motor while you are there—trust me you don’t want to do it twice.

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 11:46:57 AM »
Good advice I'd say.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2023, 09:01:43 PM »
Service manual from that year is just that. Cosmetics were not important. Even today if you own a shop if you screwed it you ate it. I can remove a fender by myself without damaging it with the hood still on the car. Done it countless times. I do this everyday. Good luck with your job.