Author Topic: 1969 Pace Car Replicas – Original door decals  (Read 2522 times)

gvbill

• View Profile
1969 Pace Car Replicas – Original door decals
« on: October 19, 2022, 06:07:10 AM »
Were the '69 Pace Car replicas delivered to the dealerships with door decals in the trunk?  If so, are there any known decal sets that have survived either installed or still in the box?  Certainly lots of reproductions available through the years, and I’m trying to determine what I have.
Thanks,
Bill

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 Pace Car Replicas – Original door decals
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 02:01:46 AM »
From what I recall-and others will chime in, the decals were in a protective container and put in the trunk to be installed at the dealer.  The person buying the car had the option of installation. Upload some pictures of what you have for better analysis and replies.

gvbill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 04:38:48 AM »
Here are a couple of photos.  There are distinct letter spacings that are very different than the reproductions that I'm aware of.

gvbill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 04:49:16 AM »
Application instructions and squeegee that were included in the box..

RichSS2006

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 03:20:58 PM »
Judging by the old UPS stamp on the box, I would suggest that they are an early example of reproductions. Is there a GM part number printed anywhere on the box or the materials inside? This is always a hot topic on the Pace Car Registry as to whether or not they were delivered with the car.
69 X22 L78 M21 10-10
69 Z11 L48 M20 50A

Red955i

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2022, 05:37:37 PM »
Bill, any chance you can make out anything on the ship to on the yellow label?  Is there any postal or shipping date on the box? I’ve researched this since mid 70s as I’ve had a set since then. There was never a GM part number. They are not mentioned in Assembly manual. Original owners, some who still have the cars today, did not get them. Dealers who sold new cars never saw them or a memo how to get them. They were designed by Campbell Ewald the ad agency for Chevrolet. They were shipped to the track, the central office or dealers who were prepping the cars in Indy to be installed. What makes yours VERY interesting is the CO Dicks Company of Michigan failed to exist under that name as of July 23, 1971. I believe there were reproductions in the 70’s as I believe mine are reproductions but I’ve had them from the mid 70’s   Let me know if you can read anything off the yellow label. Bob

gvbill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2022, 08:43:43 PM »
Thank you all. 
Decals had been shipped from the manufacturer to the Chevy dealer who's no longer there.  No dates anywhere on or in the box, unless the UPS digits correspond to anything.  I've attached photos of the ship-to address, the UPS stamping and backside marking that's on all the decals.
As I compare them to those from the '69 Indy track cars they have all the same nuances that I haven't seen elsewhere. The lower half of letter 'C' is one that stands out.

Bob - nice work sleuthing out that CO Dicks info.  I had goggle mapped their address, only to be very saddened to see the decline of Detroit.

Regards,
Bill

Red955i

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2022, 09:15:30 PM »
Based on this I’m going to take a guess, and that’s all it is. I’m going to say that this CO Dicks produced the originals for Campbell Ewald in 69 and somewhere before 71 this dealer was able to find out who produced them and was able to pick up a set that was left over or rerun. Biut that’s just and unprovable guess

396 SS/RS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2022, 11:23:24 PM »
My family had always owned a body shop and I remember my dad and uncles applying various decals on hot rods, patrol cars and etc. when I was a kid. Back then most everything was hand painted on, but for decals they used a rubber spreader same as used for spot putty or a plastic bondo spreader.

I'm only guessing but I think the plastic squeegee pictured didn't come out until some years later.

Again... just my opinion 
Good Judgment Comes From Experience, Some Experience Comes From Bad Judgment.

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2022, 02:05:06 AM »

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2022, 02:47:39 AM »
They were not included with the cars. There's no GM part # - gotta have that to order and put them on the BOM.
Kurt S
CRG