Author Topic: "field" find  (Read 5834 times)

rccthatsme

• View Profile
"field" find
« on: October 05, 2022, 04:33:42 PM »
Full disclosure, I know I will get some flak here but this car is worth saving, so beat me up, but understand I am trying to save a 69 Camaro.  Why post?  I am not up on Chevy, at all.  What I do know is this car is bad *** and I have the chance to own/save it. 

69 Camaro
4 speed

Has not moved in 30 years.  Sitting in the driest of areas in the SW. NOT for sale but mine if I want it.  Saw it in the field but was not able to grab photos.  I only have photos of the exterior, and not very god ones.  A few are attached.  No under body, under hood or, as stated interior.   

Heading to the site in a few weeks.  Hoping to get more photos before then but asking for any insight from this group of enthusiasts.   

What to look for (I get the numbers matching and body rot but am not up on the details to look for and challenges of this car.  (I will share any other photos delivered.

Thank you in advance.. and sure razz me.  I have a 70 Super Bee... I am used to it.  LOL

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: "field" find
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2022, 04:43:19 PM »
Welcome and congrats on the potential purchase but that's a 67 (not a 69) and doesn't appear to be a Z.  I would suggest starting with the main page of the website and learning as much as you can before heading out to the car.

http://camaros.org/

Click on the tabs at the top of the page and look through "Numbers Decode", "Drivetrain Decode" and the rest of the tabs. 

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2022, 04:52:55 PM »
Pictures of the following are a minimum to start:

1. VIN on the driver side door jam
2. Trim Tag on the firewall
3. Suffix code and partial VIN on the front passenger side of the block (if it still has an engine)

Optional stuff would be:

1. Picture of the date code and partial VIN on the transmission which is usually on the side of the main case.
2. Picture of the rear axle date and code on the front passenger side axle tube.

Ed

And to be honest, post a picture of your Super Bee! I LOVE those cars!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 06:14:19 PM by bertfam »

rccthatsme

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 05:17:21 PM »
Never have to ask twice for pics of the the Bee. 

The owner of the camaro is the ex-wife of a mechanic and she insists he always called it a 69. Not in my wheel house but if I can save this thing from rotting into the Earth, I will.  I will either learn all about it with a restoration process (back to original if indeed numbers matching) or swap it for something I know more about.  I am not a snob for one muscle car plant over another (had a 67 Mustang GT fastback to cruise through college).  Born and raised in the Detroit are and my father worked for Dodge (any from there get that link).  My first car was a 69 Charger (wish it weren't those damn things are ridiculously expensive).  Always liked camaros and firebirds (pre 72). if possible, I am going to save this car.  The challenge will be the price.  She doesn't want to sell it because she thinks it is gaining in value rusting in the field.  I have convinced her it is not but she still hasn't put a price on it. 

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 05:27:34 PM »
Man, that is a BEAUTIFUL car!! And by the way, you'll never get any flak trying to rescue a Camaro!

Ed

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 05:58:14 PM »
1967 VIN Tag will be located in the Drivers front Door Jamb.
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

Daytona Yellow 69 Z/28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 07:01:29 PM »
Beautiful Super Bee!

As for the 67 Camaro, yes its defiantly worth saving. I bought a similar condition 69 a year or so back and brought it back to life here at home paint & all. lol.. Its far from perfect but still a bunch of fun to drive..

67L48

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 07:28:45 PM »
[...] The owner of the camaro is the ex-wife of a mechanic and she insists he always called it a 69. [...]
There are lots of people who have called my car a Mustang.  So, it's no surprise.  But, yeah, it's a 67.  I prefer 67, but 69 is definitely the more valuable model.

This particular car is going to be a base model car.  Not an SS and not a Z28.  So, as Daytona Yellow said above, deciding to restore this one may, in fact, take some defiance to more rational advice to let it go (though he may have intended definitely instead of defiantly, :D).

But, please do share more information as you obtain it.  As Ed/Bert mentioned above, we'd love to get more detail about what this car is/was.  Thanks for sharing the Bee pic.  I love all of the classic muscle cars and enjoy seeing them all.

67L48
1967 Camaro SS 350
PG, factory air, console, fold down rear seat, PS, PB, butternut yellow, #s matching, original manual/warranty/POP, <60K miles
Northeast Iowa

Hideawaze

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2022, 12:15:34 AM »
Sounds like the owner thinks the car is worth way more $$$ than it is. You can be honest with her and still risk insulting her. At least you know the lady and cash talks or offer to pay for an Alaskan cruise or something , maybe her ex never took her anywhere, Best of luck and that is a damn nice Bee you have

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2022, 01:25:33 AM »
Pictures of numbers means everything.
Plum Crazy!

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2022, 01:14:21 PM »
Sounds like the owner thinks the car is worth way more $$$ than it is. You can be honest with her and still risk insulting her. At least you know the lady and cash talks or offer to pay for an Alaskan cruise or something , maybe her ex never took her anywhere, Best of luck and that is a damn nice Bee you have

That sounds like exactly what's going on here. A Red 1969 Z/28 is way way more valuable than a 1967 Plain Jane so she will be in shock at it's real value. Don't be surprised if it turns out to be a gold on gold colored, Power Glide automatic, 6 cylinder car when you run the numbers. I also don't expect a car sitting on the ground for 30 years to have any floor trunk or rockers left. It may tear in half when you try and pull it out of where it has grown back into nature.

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2022, 04:33:50 PM »

That sounds like exactly what's going on here. A Red 1969 Z/28 is way way more valuable than a 1967 Plain Jane so she will be in shock at it's real value. Don't be surprised if it turns out to be a gold on gold colored, Power Glide automatic, 6 cylinder car when you run the numbers. I also don't expect a car sitting on the ground for 30 years to have any floor trunk or rockers left. It may tear in half when you try and pull it out of where it has grown back into nature.

I also agree with that comment. It is sad that 'some' cars are just not worth saving. I know we would like to save 'em all...its just not worth the time and money to do so. That said, a nice rust free base car would be worth it....IF the price was good.
Btw, the 'Bee is awesome! Thanks for sharing.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

Daytona Yellow 69 Z/28

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2022, 04:35:15 PM »
68 Ragtop is 100% correct, plan on both inner & outer rockers, floor etc.. at a minimum on a project like this. I ended up replacing more metal than I left on the car, but IMHO its still worth saving if you can & like doing the work yourself..

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2022, 07:40:51 PM »
Looks like this car could be surprisingly solid…trunk lid looks solid so does hood and upper fenders…sitting in dry area…certainly worth looking closer at it….solid body first gens bring more than you may think….options may not matter much if body is supper solid! Someone would be more then eager enough to build it their way.
I certainly would be looking at it if I lived closer.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2022, 10:07:29 PM »
I have to agree. Supper solid cars are delicious.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 11:40:52 PM by cook_dw »

anything