Author Topic: A 69 Antwerp car with the very very rare JL8 option  (Read 2070 times)

Martin D

• View Profile
A 69 Antwerp car with the very very rare JL8 option
« on: September 14, 2022, 08:27:04 AM »
I've posted the below info in the JL8 general discussion thread as a start, as that is the main interest in this unusual Antwerp 69 Camaro.
 "Hi all, bit of a story, but worth reading for the punch line!
Well its the 307 JL8 car that has prompted more research on my friend Steves '69.
He has owned if for a few years now, in storage in a partly dismantled state, as he bought it off another friend.
This year he started working on it to prepare it as a nostalgia Super Stock race car.
At the time he bought it, I said about researching it & that it could have some value over & above just another nice Camaro.
Now seeing the 307 JL8 up for sale & selling in  under 24hrs on Facebook for $63,000 (what was the price on ebay, or what was the top bid?), my friend Steve was more interested in his car!
His 69 has a disc brake 12 bolt in it, a real factory one, QU code May 5th built, the car was built in the 3rd week of May.
The 307 car in the advert stated it was the lowest powered JL8 known.
So if I tell you my friend Steve's car is a L6 cylinder car with P/G , thats a bit of err, what?
Also its an Export car, well an Antwerp Belgium one, as none were built at Antwerp in 69, unlike the 67 & 68 Camaro's, all '69's were Norwood built & shipped to Antwerp.
In '79 it arrived in the UK, & where it still is.
Why a L6 with the JL8 option? That's what we would like to find out.
So any help would be great, Norwood records?
Martin in the UK 🇬🇧"

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: A 69 Antwerp car with the very very rare JL8 option
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 02:16:33 PM »
JL8 was technically available with any powertrain; some ordering info states SS or Z/28 was required. Option production records suggest that 27 JL8 cars were not Z/28s; only a few are known. Chevrolet did not retain production records.

JL8 included Corvette brakes on all four wheels; front brakes different than production Camaro J52 front discs. Let's hear about the front brakes.   

Learning more and more about less and less...

Martin D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2022, 01:21:55 PM »
Front brakes are 4 pot calipers & 11 3/4" discs.....

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2022, 03:59:36 AM »
That would be the first I've ever heard of a L6 with JL8.
I'd be curious to see the trim tag. L6 engine still with it? Trans?
Thanks!
Kurt S
CRG

anything