Author Topic: Rare 67 L78 Convertible, White Power Top  (Read 5377 times)

67L48

• View Profile
Rare 67 L78 Convertible, White Power Top
« on: August 02, 2022, 02:26:28 PM »
Someone posted this tag and any time I see (1) an L78 and (2) other rare options and (3) signs of tag removal, my spidey senses start tingling.  I'm no expert and, frankly, if I'm faking a tag, I'm always going with RS/SS (which this one is not).  So, I figured I'd post to see if there are any consensus opinions.  (No pics of the car, just the tag).  Tag looks legit to my eye, but the dash after the LOS is curious to me.  My 11A car has no dash and I've seen other 1966 calendar year builds that have no dash ... but I've seen other spring 1967 builds that have the dash (so, perhaps a mid-year change there?).  There is obviously no way to know if it's original to the car based on the info provided here.

L78 396/375, convertible, custom white parchment/black interior, marina blue, white top, power convertible top, console w/ floor mounted 4 speed.

67L48
1967 Camaro SS 350
PG, factory air, console, fold down rear seat, PS, PB, butternut yellow, #s matching, original manual/warranty/POP, <60K miles
Northeast Iowa

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Rare 67 L78 Convertible, White Power Top
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 02:40:08 PM »
It's real. HERE'S the car.

Ed

67L48

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 03:40:53 PM »
Cool.  I'll still never understand why it's so important to remove a little, thin piece of metal in order to do a restore.  Blows my mind why they can't leave that metal, smaller than a credit card, alone.

67L48
1967 Camaro SS 350
PG, factory air, console, fold down rear seat, PS, PB, butternut yellow, #s matching, original manual/warranty/POP, <60K miles
Northeast Iowa

ovaltrack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2022, 07:14:52 PM »
I have pics of this car before, during and after the restoration. This vin tag has never been removed from the car. thanks

67L48

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2022, 08:08:37 PM »
I have pics of this car before, during and after the restoration. This vin tag has never been removed from the car. thanks
I'm not disputing you, but I'm curious to know why the rivets are drilled out.  Thanks.

67L48
1967 Camaro SS 350
Northeast Iowa

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2022, 08:19:05 PM »
I'm not disputing you, but I'm curious to know why the rivets are drilled out.

If you're referring to the VIN tag, I don't believe there's a picture of it anywhere on the site. If you're referring to the trim tag picture you posted above, that's not "drilled out". The factory applied filler has just come out. Those are original, factory rivets.

Ed
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 09:16:21 PM by bertfam »

ovaltrack

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2022, 08:47:48 PM »
Yes the trim tag...Thankyou !

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2022, 02:09:13 AM »
Did they use super glue to reinstall it? It looks crooked.

CantRepeat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2022, 09:48:37 AM »
It's real. HERE'S the car.

Ed

Are these the same car?
-Tim
67 RS/SS Vert C-1 797-Z LOS 11B
EXDL 2EMGR 3SL
4P

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2022, 01:05:33 PM »

It hasn't been "reinstalled". It was never removed.

Are these the same car?

Yes

Ed

67L48

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2022, 01:20:39 PM »
If you're referring to the VIN tag, I don't believe there's a picture of it anywhere on the site. If you're referring to the trim tag picture you posted above, that's not "drilled out". The factory applied filler has just come out. Those are original, factory rivets.
I'm only referring the pics posted -- the trim tag.  I'm not arguing with you here.  I never said that those aren't the factory rivets.  I have never seen such a clean, smooth rivet hole before that wasn't due to physical manipulation of some kind (drilling out, e.g.).  I have a hard time believing that the cement just fell out ... on both sides ... perfectly in each case.  To me, it looks like it was removed.  Anyway, I'm not arguing with you, just explaining why I asked the question above.  It just looks incredibly odd to my eye ... just one random guy's eyeball.  Thanks.

Are these the same car?
Sort of.  There are two cars pictured in that thread.  The car that's the subject of this thread is shown in the before and during stages.  Then, there is a car shown at a car show.  That sort of looks like an after photo of this car.  It's not.  It's a different car that looks very similar to this one.  So, when you scroll through that thread, just know that the pics of this car end in the restoration phase ... there isn't a final after photo in that thread.

67L48
1967 Camaro SS 350
Northeast Iowa

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2022, 02:37:25 PM »
I'm only referring the pics posted -- the trim tag.  I'm not arguing with you here.  I never said that those aren't the factory rivets.  I have never seen such a clean, smooth rivet hole before that wasn't due to physical manipulation of some kind (drilling out, e.g.).  I have a hard time believing that the cement just fell out ... on both sides ... perfectly in each case.  To me, it looks like it was removed.  Anyway, I'm not arguing with you, just explaining why I asked the question above.  It just looks incredibly odd to my eye ... just one random guy's eyeball.  Thanks.

You are not arguing but you disagree.  Ed is correct, the tag has not been off that body.  You can't go by one photo alone.  And yes the body filler can just "fall out" or was never applied at all.  I have multiple tags in my very small database that have no filler.  I will show one which is one of my cars.  You can agree to disagree but no reason for this car in original post to be questioned.  I don't know the owner of the car nor do I have any interest in it other than collecting data and documenting items across the board.

67L48

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2022, 04:59:40 PM »
You are not arguing but you disagree.  [...]
Nope.  I don't disagree.  I'm merely stating the origin for my question.  That tag, to my eye, doesn't look right and I explained the reasons why it didn't look right to my eye.  But, that's why I asked the question.  I'm happy that Ed is correct and I'm not disputing that.  Cheers.

67L48
1967 Camaro SS 350
Northeast Iowa

CantRepeat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2022, 11:12:22 PM »

It hasn't been "reinstalled". It was never removed.

Are these the same car?

Yes

Ed

Then I'm confused, Ed.

The one in the first post is a non RS car but the one you linked to is an RS car. They don't appear to have the same cowl tag.

-Tim
67 RS/SS Vert C-1 797-Z LOS 11B
EXDL 2EMGR 3SL
4P

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2022, 11:41:59 PM »
Your bottom picture of the silver tag was a car James (firstgenaddict) "thought" was the same car as originally posted by Trent (ovaltrak) in the link I posted in reply number 1 above. (It's wasn't the same car by the way)

However, the black trim tag you posted above IS the same car as owned by Trent (ovaltrack).

Did you read my reply number 31 where I told James when he asked if it was the same car as the one in the pictures he posted?

No, Trent's car's been off the road since 1973 when it rolled! The car in your picture is a Norwood build. Trent's is an LA build. Same F-1 (Island Teal) color though.

Ed