Author Topic: Kill Switch  (Read 1659 times)

Chuck-68-Cam

• It is what it is
    • View Profile
Kill Switch
« on: July 10, 2022, 08:02:49 PM »
Thinking about installing a hidden starter switch. Not much on electrical, but I think I got it, you tell me.

I am going to install switch on ignition purple somewhere after ignition and before the starter. (the X)

Sound about right?
Chuck

68 Camaro SST 350/TH400

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
Re: Kill Switch
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2022, 08:47:43 PM »
What’s the worst that could happen? You forgot to flip the switch and flooded the engine. Kill on good sir.

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2022, 09:02:13 PM »
Easily defeated with the Dip stick or screw driver hot wire start from "shorting"  the (B) Batt Positive on the Solenoid to the (S) purple start terminal contact and a wire for ign 12+DC Feed.
Yes your "Kill SW" as drawn WILL work. But would be better describes as Key Start Defeat Switch.

Often "Kill switches" are incorporated into the Coil Ignition Feed, to "open Circuit" and kill the 12+ supply feed to the coil and result in No Start or Engine Stop (Kill)

This question can elicit a greater debate on 'Purpose, Use and Intent'

With Respect can you discuss WHY Kill Switch is needed, Protect car while parked at home in a vulnerable storage, parked while at work, keep a casual unintended family user, Long term unattended parking in poorly secured or monitored structure, past experience (i.e. Recovered) lesson, Low quality insurance coverage,  poor economic living neighborhood, multi layered approach to theft prevention and deterrence regime,  etc.

Its OK to tell me to mind my own Bees-Wax here,,,,,,,,,,LoL
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

Chuck-68-Cam

• It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 12:24:54 AM »
LOL, No particular reason than a second line of defense against whatever. I already have all the dash and wiring out so thought why not. But coil does sound better. That way engine will crank, but no start. So that would be the pink 14gauge under the circled purple 12 gauge in the picture?
Chuck

68 Camaro SST 350/TH400

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 03:22:43 PM »
I like the ignition short circuit route better here.  ANY extra resistance in the purple wire circuit can disable the starter solenoid when you DO want it to start.  That circuit is really just marginal before you start adding stuff to it.  You can get the dreaded "hot - no start" condition.  People have been adding relays to that circuit for decades to help with the issue.

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 04:03:29 PM »
Beside the fact the car could still be bump started if they wanted to, better to interrupt the ignition.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

hrlyfxdl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2022, 06:36:10 PM »
Back in high school I drove a 77 Nova, 4 speed, hatchback of all cars (loved it). The stereo equalizer that I had in that car, attached under the dash, had a built in kill switch on the under side of it, wired into the ignition. It was extremely handy, if for nothing more than peace of mind, when I attended college and left my car parked in the parking lot for days at a time. I've tried to find the same thing since, but have never ran across another equalizer with that feature (and can't remember the exact brand back in the late 80s). Anyway, just wanted to add a side point to the discussion. Thanks
1968 Camaro SS 350 8L34677?
07A  E107  TR 712  U-U

5hane

Chuck-68-Cam

• It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2022, 03:51:56 PM »
Just as a follow up, I did go ahead and interrupt the starter instead of the ignition. Reasons being I did not have to cut or splice any wiring leaving the neutral safety switch connector intact, And I added a deterrent to the setup. (something I saw on youtube) I know it is not the greatest, but I just wanted something simple to slow any would-be thief down or scare the crap out of them. See below.
Chuck

68 Camaro SST 350/TH400

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2022, 04:02:16 PM »
It doesn’t have to be great, it just has to work as intended for you.

anything