Author Topic: Cowl Induction Air Cleaner Paint  (Read 2933 times)

camaronut

• View Profile
Cowl Induction Air Cleaner Paint
« on: June 14, 2022, 04:29:02 PM »
Ok folks - here we go again with conflicting information on paint used on cowl induction air cleaners - Jerry's book says it should be 60% gloss black.  The Legends book says its supposed to be gloss black.

Now I'm no expert, but I've never seen a cowl induction air cleaner in gloss black.......so who's right?   :-\

Thanks..... just trying to get this right.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: Cowl Induction Air Cleaner Paint
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 10:26:30 PM »
split the difference and go 80% gloss...   :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 11:37:23 PM »
 ::)

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2022, 12:21:55 AM »
Besides a car that’s painted gloss black, have you ever seen any Camaro part gloss black?

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2022, 01:02:22 AM »
Exactly - thus the confusion between JMN & Legends Manual.

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2022, 04:09:03 AM »
Pretty sure there’s no confusion. I know Chevrolet changed interior chrome pieces to satin to eliminate reflections from all sources as well.

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2022, 12:27:15 PM »
Engine compartment portion of the heater assembly is gloss black

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2022, 02:04:02 PM »
Besides a car that’s painted gloss black, have you ever seen any Camaro part gloss black?

Whenever the restoration guides or judging manuals call out "(100%) gloss black", such as for a heater box cover or air cleaner lid it should be understood that paint chemistry in the 1960's did not produce the same super high gloss that's possible today from even single stage paints. At shows and judged events I've seen perfect, blindingly glossy black painted parts on restored-to-factory-original cars however that high gloss isn't how the paint would have appeared from the factory back then. For "full or 100% gloss black", IMO the range of +/-75%-80% of today's full gloss is more representative of 60's era full gloss.   

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2022, 02:37:37 PM »
Pretty sure there’s no confusion. I know Chevrolet changed interior chrome pieces to satin to eliminate reflections from all sources as well.

That was the entire auto industry, responding to the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966, which mandated safety changes by January 1, 1968.

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2022, 05:19:54 PM »

Whenever the restoration guides or judging manuals call out "(100%) gloss black", such as for a heater box cover or air cleaner lid it should be understood that paint chemistry in the 1960's did not produce
 the same super high gloss that's possible today from even single stage paints. At shows and judged events I've seen perfect, blindingly glossy black painted parts on restored-to-factory-original cars however that high gloss isn't how the paint would have appeared from the factory back then. For "full or 100% gloss black", IMO the range of +/-75%-80% of today's full gloss is more representative of 60's era full gloss.   

Never thought of it that way - makes total sense.  It should be noted that way in these "expert manuals".
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 05:41:54 PM by camaronut »

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2022, 04:05:27 PM »
Interest topic and one I have struggled with for years when I restored my '69 Z28.  Whenever I find a true survivor 1st Gen Camaro, and specifically a '69, I pay close attention to component part finishes.  I try to study a portion of a black painted part where it has not been exposed to handing, weather, etc.   Lloyd makes a very good point. The black paints today are very different from the blacks used 40-50+ years ago. Plus, many of the black painted parts were dip primed or painted so the evenness of the paint thus sheen is different from pro quality spray painted parts we see on restored cars today.  Many/most of our restorations are over done, but that is easy to do when we invest so much time and money restoring our cars.  Its only natural...and I am guilty as anyone on this! 

I really like and admire all fine and well done restored 1st Gens, (Mopars & Fords for that matter) but what I really enjoy seeing are survivors! 

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2022, 11:44:56 AM »
Well said.

Fred Mertz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2022, 02:33:52 AM »
I painted mine with semi-gloss and never gave it much thought. :)

anything