Author Topic: Door Panel Paper Alternatives?  (Read 1038 times)

57vette

• View Profile
Door Panel Paper Alternatives?
« on: April 11, 2022, 04:38:01 PM »
My car is a restomod so I am not as concerned with absolute correctness in many of its attributes. I know that's blasphemy to some folks LOL. But anyway, a new custom interior is in works and while my door panel paper is intact, I'd like to get inside the door panels, specifically the DS as I'm mounting a set of restored 2nd Gen bullet mirrors and I'd like to secure the cable controls in some way that does no inhibit manual adjustment of the mirror and also doesn't rattle around or interfere with the window in any way.

So two questions; the first is whether there's a decent quality craft paper as good or better available locally in either big box stores or perhaps a craft store. Years ago I remember craft paper that might've been two layers with a tar-like center later... and that stuff wasn't thick at all. My dad and I used to build wooden boats in the '60s and we used that paper to lay out full size patterns of the frames and transoms. Love to find some of that. Second question was about tape to hold the paper on... I have read several comments about Gaffer's Tape and I know about that tape having spent some time on TV commercial sets in my career. Does it hold up well over time, and would it be better than Gorilla tape?

Thanks for any/all advice.-Mike

Stingr69

• View Profile
Re: Door Panel Paper Alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 04:41:55 PM »
3M strip caulk is a common replacement for the factory stuff.  It comes in light grey or black.  Light grey is closer to original.

The door panel protectors are available from the restoration parts vendors and work well.

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
Re: Door Panel Paper Alternatives?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 04:56:29 PM »
The inner watershields available from vendors are for std door panels the DLX watershields have plastic cups for the inner door pulls.

The fisher body manual gives the procedure for transferring the plastic cups or installing the cups using waterproof tape etc.
THEN use strip caulk on the two sides and I use black Gorilla tape to attach the cups and the top of the shield to the inner door frame.

Remote drivers mirror was available in 69 and the cable goes to the front of the door then back to the mirror control, it should not have issues with window interference.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa