Author Topic: 1967 L78 Window Sticker Analysis  (Read 4234 times)

Z10Mike

• View Profile
Re: 1967 L78 Window Sticker Analysis
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2022, 09:45:21 PM »
I would reinstall that plenum setup.  Quite stealthy.  Plenum cutouts could be pretty crude as guys used any available tools to remove the sheet metal.  My buddy's '68 was the same way.  The adapter covered all that up, so it wasn't any issue for him.  It sure was a conversation starter at a cruise. 

Gars68Tux

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2022, 09:49:07 PM »
The filter housing and duct were also available over the counter at Chevrolet parts departments. Also, no firewall cutout from the factory. That was for self/dealer/mechanic installation.

Yeah, but the blue car pictured above is the first on a big block I've seen. Has anyone observed GM part numbers distinguishing big vs small block cowl plenum components? The common small block housings seem fairly tall and wouldn't fit under a stock (67-8) hood with a big block, not to mention line up with the firewall at the proper elevation...or so it seems (to me) ??? 
Garth

68 RS L30 AA 749 Fred Gibb Chevrolet

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2022, 02:26:39 AM »
Chevelle was also had a cowl plenum that was similar but different.  Camaro only had the one air cleaner assembly. As with Doug’s car the one originally intended for the 67/8 Z was used on his car.  The rubber connector sleeve allowed for slight differences in locations. Remember the air cleaner was roughly in the same location as the sb engine due to the frame mounts lowered the big block down slightly into the engine compartment vs the small block. 

Gars68Tux

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2022, 04:30:58 AM »
hmm, I see the blue car (Doug?) has cowl induction hood insulation, but otherwise a standard SS hood? Doubt it'd fit (clearance) under a flat hood. 

What about the extension ring required for small block cowl induction (69). None used with big block.

I understand what you're saying about the rubber sleave compensating for slight variations.

Apparently the SS hood being somewhat domed, allows enough clearance. :)

Garth

68 RS L30 AA 749 Fred Gibb Chevrolet

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2022, 04:49:47 AM »
That air cleaner was a Z option only for 67 and 68; not available from the factory for any other model. Yet you could get it for any model over the counter. The Chevelle and full size Chevy version was similar but not exactly the same. Both the filter housing and plenum duct were different. As stated above, there is an alignment issue if not using the correct pieces per model line. The duct connecter will make up height variation if mismatched pieces are used, but it won't look right.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2022, 12:36:11 PM »
That is not a cowl induction hood insulation.  It’s a standard/SS insulation that has been trimmed around the air cleaner area to prevent it touching. As for 69 induction cleaner it’s different dimensions and issues.