Author Topic: Valuation of "Barn" Find?  (Read 5359 times)

Jeff_84_Z28

• View Profile
Valuation of "Barn" Find?
« on: March 15, 2022, 05:28:36 PM »
Hi, new guy here. So long story, but here goes...

So, my father purchased this car as it now sits, in 1980-1981. The story I got from my father is it was purchased from an auction (he was a used car dealer for ever). The hood was locked on so he couldn't see under the hood to see what it was, but could tell it was a big block from the pan. I honestly have no idea how much he actually drove the car. I have only 1 faint memory from a ride in the back seat. He never even registered it (had a dealer plate back in the day). Then in 1985, he went to pull out of the garage, and a brake line blew. That was it. Has not moved since. Was started periodically until probably 1995. Last start, the carb was over flowing with fuel and it was shut off and left to sit.

What's strange to me, is my Father always thought it was an original Z28 that someone turned into a drag car, which is why he purchased it in the first place. Back in 2019 before he passed away, he had "gotten motivated" and cleaned up the garage and I went by to run some #'s and see what we could find out. Here's what he knew about it, and what we figured out.

What he knew about it that I remember:
Fiberglass nose installed
Has line lock
Swapped from manual to auto
Big Block Installed (he thought 427, I believe its a 71 LS5)
Rear End swapped (possibly Ford 9"???)

What we figured out
5k/7k Tach
X11
50 B pnt(dover white w black top)
01A Built First week Jan 69
711 Black Standard Bucket Interior

The Vin is a V8 vin. The Body tag is an X11. The first thing I did to rule out it being a Z, was notice the 5k/7k tachometer. Being the car was only about 11-12 years old when he purchased it, I would think its unlikely the tach was ever changed. There were other things at the time that I cannot recall, but I'm 99% sure this was just a base 307/350 unless someone can show me otherwise.

Finally, after 42 years I am finally getting my hands on the car. Unfortunately it took him passing away for that to happen, I only wanted that car since I was old enough to walk  ::)

My question, is I'm looking for an honest valuation what a car like this would be worth? I had always hoped my brothers and I would make a project out of it some day, but they are all too busy with families and work so I am looking for what would be a reasonable price to purchase it from my mother since she is moving to a smaller home and getting rid of everything and wants to sell the car.

I took a decent look at it the other day but have not gotten it in the air yet. From what I can see, the body/frame/floors & trunk seem solid. The interior is thrashed, the garage window was apparently broken for about 5 years recently and car windows were open so.... I remember the interior being real nice when I moved out in 1999. I can tell the car has been painted at least twice. Was original Dover white, then looks like someone painted it blue, and then the gaudy 1970's black with sparkle in the paint that it is in now.

My plan for the time being would not be a full restore, but just cleaning it up, doing whatever it needs to get it to run and drive safely and just pick away at it and maybe someday do it over proper. I do believe this car would be a great start for someone looking for a 69 to restore also, but am having a hard time determining the actual real value these sell for. I would guess somewhere around 5k, but with a clean body/frame maybe I'm low balling. There is no title for the car, so that still needs to be worked out also. I don't want my mom to not get what its worth. I would be willing to spend up to 5k on it, but to me, other than it being my fathers car, would be more than I would want to invese since I already have my 84 Z28 that I've had since 1998.

There's a bunch of photos at the dropbox link below. Tried to get some date codes where I could. Many of them were taken blindly just reaching under and shooting photos but should give some idea.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qafrbwkkwznw9yk/AADUpJsL2Ro-XhMJLFfCnbnYa?dl=0

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Jeff

169INDY

• View Profile
Re: Valuation of "Barn" Find?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 06:11:40 PM »
Jeff, Sorry for your Loss and prayers for your Family. This is a difficult time and situations. This car WILL take huge efforts and funds to even get safe to run on the road. I would Estimate:
10-15 on the open market. (Purchase)
Friends and family should be a bit favorable to your cost, but,,,,,You are 1st getting in on the ground floor ie. not subject to open market competition and resulting pricing, 2nd your Dollars would be going to immediate family, your Mothers benefit and 3rd your "Dads Car" enough said.

You did well with the photos, good job.

This is a complex situation to buy or not to buy for you.

Wishing you the Best

JIM
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

Jeff_84_Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 06:32:38 PM »
Jeff, Sorry for your Loss and prayers for your Family. This is a difficult time and situations. This car WILL take huge efforts and funds to even get safe to run on the road. I would Estimate:
10-15 on the open market. (Purchase)
Friends and family should be a bit favorable to your cost, but,,,,,You are 1st getting in on the ground floor ie. not subject to open market competition and resulting pricing, 2nd your Dollars would be going to immediate family, your Mothers benefit and 3rd your "Dads Car" enough said.

You did well with the photos, good job.

This is a complex situation to buy or not to buy for you.

Wishing you the Best

JIM

Thanks for the prayers, appreciate it! That much for a base with no matching #'s huh? I was afraid of that. Not sure if you think its the condition that makes it worth that (no body/frame rot) or if that's just the going rate.. Only thing I came across with project cars in similar shape was https://repairablecars-forsale.com/ads/1969_Camaro_Z28_For_Sale.html so I was hoping 5k was a reasonable offer for a base with no matching # engine/trans/rearend that has been molested into a 70's drag car.

And I do know it would take a lot (brakes/wheels/rubber/suspension) to even make it safe to drive across the street. My hopes were that since I know it ran when parked, replacing all the fluids/gaskets and swapping water pump & alternator, and getting the carb rebuilt, and a little bit of luck, would be enough to enjoy the car for the time being. Something to pick away at in the garage.

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 06:57:06 PM »
Great car and story.  Hope you can find a way to make everyone happy and still keep the car.  Getting a title for it would probably increase the value quite a bit.  I do not know what it is worth but $5k is probably way low today.

Engine is a 454 from '71 or '72  Used in just about any passenger car. 

Not a Z/28, but still a great hot rod.

That web site is not a good indicator of the prices in the market.  I would not trust it at all. 

Jeff_84_Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 07:21:06 PM »
Great car and story.  Hope you can find a way to make everyone happy and still keep the car.  Getting a title for it would probably increase the value quite a bit.  I do not know what it is worth but $5k is probably way low today.

Engine is a 454 from '71 or '72  Used in just about any passenger car. 

Not a Z/28, but still a great hot rod.

That web site is not a good indicator of the prices in the market.  I would not trust it at all.
That's what I was afraid of. In my mind, its a base $5k molested car. But, then I remember that car is now 53 years old, and all things considered, a solid start for someone looking to restore one.

I believe the Title is easy enough to get where I am. Just need a pre 1990 bill of sale from previous owner. Will just take some work to figure out previous owners name since it was bought at auction. We may uncover the bill of sale or purchase paperwork at some point as we have just started finally going through his things. Knowing him, there is no paperwork. Hell, we can't even find the keys lol.

As far as the motor, I am going to try to pull the valve covers to see what the heads are. Someone did considerable work to hot rod this thing, so maybe we'll get lucky and its got a built motor. From what I have seen, chances are slim to none that its a 4 bolt. 

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2022, 01:04:44 PM »
To me no title is a large thing (in NC) which would make the value a sum of the value of the parts. Sounds like the motor is just a run of the mill 454. Unless you can get a title it is just an old racecar. A friend just last week bought a very similar 69 (even black) but running and ready for 20K but it does have a DART engine with BDS blower we figured might bring 15k. I think your 5k would be a deal but not unfair to family. Just my thoughts.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2022, 02:39:06 PM »
Its between family and that can be difficult at times but honestly, the car is worth far north of $5K. If the body is in excellent shape, not cut up, and glass etc. original, its a solid $15 to 20K value IMO as many are looking for a solid car to use to fix up a rust bucket so in those cases a title is not needed. Can your Mom apply for a lost title? And whatever value the race stuff can bring taken off the car. Some of that has value for day 2 cars. Hope it all goes well and good luck.....
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Jeff_84_Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2022, 04:54:20 PM »
To me no title is a large thing (in NC) which would make the value a sum of the value of the parts. Sounds like the motor is just a run of the mill 454. Unless you can get a title it is just an old racecar. A friend just last week bought a very similar 69 (even black) but running and ready for 20K but it does have a DART engine with BDS blower we figured might bring 15k. I think your 5k would be a deal but not unfair to family. Just my thoughts.

I am still hoping to come across some sort of paperwork for it. As I said, I know it was purchased at auction, but I have no idea where or exactly when. I have been told that it is pretty "simple" to get one in MA, just need an old bill of sale. The issue will be tracking down the previous owners name. Anyone have any good ideas on how to find that aside from the obvious of looking in the car?

I did spy some roller rockers in it (img 2766-2768 in dropbox link above). Going to pull the covers this weekend and see what the heads are. I did find it weird that the date code was dated 1969 if I'm reading it right???(k 10 9 in image 5694), but the block stamp for CPD engine is only for 71-72??? Am I missing something?

Casting# 3963512
Engine Pad Stamp T0904CPD vin 11B120446
Date Code K10 9

Jeff_84_Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2022, 07:29:26 PM »
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pa4ioobj704s58v/AAANDki6T2qoOfihg4Nw0GA0a?dl=0

Put these up last night but was too tired to type anything. Apparently my "real" camera likes to focus on what you are not trying to focus on in most of the photos. Should have stuck with my phone camera.

Had a couple buddies over and got the car up on jack stands. Basically just got it vacuumed inside and out and tried to get more #'s from engine, rear end etc. From what I have seen, only rust issue is some slight bubbling below the rear windshield trim, and some paint bubbling on the trunk lid. Couple random spots on rockers and quarters where paint is peeling, but it all looks to be minor and on the surface. Is there any places on these cars where rust/rot is hidden? Anywhere to look in particular?

No build sheet under back seat which isn't a surprise. Going to get the tank dropped and see if its up there, which I'm sure it won't be. I would guess the tank needed to be lowered when the in line fuel pump was added, but maybe not. Looks like it has been there for ever.

No tag on rear end, but it seems to be a C7AW-E ford 9" Going to try to get the casting #'s cleaned up.

Going to get some roller skates for it and get it outside and give it a bath inside and out this weekend. I really think it is going to clean up way better than I anticipated after a couple test spots in side and out.

Intake 3866848 (3866948 maybe?) Seems to be a run of the mill intake, thoughts?

Thanks everyone!

Jeff_84_Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2022, 10:15:59 PM »
Think the link I put up yesterday was no good for the pics... link below should work

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pa4ioobj704s58v/AAANDki6T2qoOfihg4Nw0GA0a?dl=0

LeonardS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2022, 10:55:39 PM »
Did you buy it? Once it’s cleaned up, it will look like it’s worth more and the family will probably think you should pay more.

Jeff_84_Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2022, 01:15:38 AM »
Did you buy it? Once it’s cleaned up, it will look like it’s worth more and the family will probably think you should pay more.

I'm doing what is best for my mother. She needs the cash. It's counter intuitive to improve it but, if its worth more than I can afford, I won't buy it. It sucks, I'd love to have it for lots of reasons.

I basically could afford it for 5k. I figure would probably be at least another 5k to get the brakes, suspension, wheels/rubber, exhaust etc sorted out that it would need to make it streetable. If its worth 6 or 8, maybe ill get the family discount. But it would honestly mean more to me to clean it inside and out, get the carb rebuilt and get it running if it turns out its worth 10 as is. I'd rather try to get her a little more by having a running car to sell. I'd at least be able to play around with it to get it running before sending it off. Like I said, it sucks. I'd love to have it.

Jeff_84_Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2022, 03:41:42 PM »
Got it out of the garage and gave it a bath to get the first layer off. Started hitting the drivers side a little with just a damp cloth. Interior seems like it will clean up...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6a2ji2nlnj2w0ju/AABXUUxz6_7OOHtwnkkZU_zna?dl=0

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2022, 10:43:10 PM »
$15K in today's market. Solid body, good original interior. But you need to get the title.
Does it have 1 or 2 fuel lines? Looks like front drum brakes.
Kurt S
CRG

Jeff_84_Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2022, 01:03:43 AM »
$15K in today's market. Solid body, good original interior. But you need to get the title.

1 Fuel line
Drum brake
manual steer

Couple other things I don't remember that made me lean towards it being a 307/327 that I cannot recall right now. Body dated first week January so not sure if that would be considered early, or late as far as it being a 307/327

I keep forgetting to look for the driver side exhaust mount (not really sure where it is on the frame, but assume it would be obvious), but everything tells me this was a base v8 car. Not sure what the other dead give aways are. Next time over going to drop the tank to see if there's a build sheet, i know its a pipe dream, but tank needs to come down anyway.

Jeff_84_Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2022, 02:09:43 AM »
Couple other things I don't remember that made me lean towards it being a 307/327 that I cannot recall right now.

Recalled one.
The radiator, I saw images somewhere showing this radiator (noting the " metal cap" that almost looks like a tank on top, filler neck position and vent tube angle) only coming in 327/307 manual, no ac cars... Of course cannot find it now since I've been spending hours scouring the internet the last week. Could have been a barn find video or something too. Don't see any on this site in the cooling section that look similar. Anybody know?

Have to take a closer look and see if I can find tag w date code on it, didn't see one at first glance. Not sure its even original being that its got a big block, but it does not have trans hookups, and seems to bolt up proper.

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2022, 03:10:57 AM »
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

Jeff_84_Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2022, 04:48:21 AM »
Read this...Joe

http://www.camaros.org/coolingsystems.shtml

I had, and just did again. Not sure where the radiator is from because it was vertical flow if I recall when I opened the cap. Assume the cap is on top as opposed to ends due to that? Not sure what its out of.

I missed this part

"All first-generation Camaro radiators were manufactured by the Harrison Radiator Division of GM and were of the cross-flow design type (as opposed to earlier vertical flow designs)"

Thanks

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2022, 06:48:38 AM »
It's right when they changed from 327 & LM1 to 307 & L65.
Possibility that it was a L65 350 - mostly due to the original rear springs. But those could have been swapped....
Kurt S
CRG

Jeff_84_Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2022, 05:43:46 PM »
Yeah I caught the springs also but figured them for a swap when putting in the 9” rear. Going to see if I can get any #’s off of them

Thanks!

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2022, 09:15:58 PM »
There are no numbers on them.
Kurt S
CRG

Jeff_84_Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2022, 04:56:09 AM »
She’s online. CL Massachusetts. About 150 emails in 24 hours. Have 6 between 12-14, 1 friend of a friend willing to go 15, and 1 at 19.9, have my doubts on the last one but he’s been in contact since about 5 minutes after it went up. Put up about 500 photos of anyone wants to check it out.

Thanks all,
Jeff

Jeff_84_Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2022, 09:34:31 PM »
If anyone was wondering it went to a family friend. $15k cash w/o title or keys in early May. Car already stripped down and will be getting an LS I’m told

Thanks for everyone’s help!

Jeff

anything