Author Topic: Can seat tracks be disassembled ???  (Read 1662 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Can seat tracks be disassembled ???
« on: March 11, 2022, 04:52:52 PM »
Can seat tracks be disassembled for cleaning and re-greasing? I saw a video on Youtube where a guy did it to a set of '67 tracks by inserting a little hook tool and grabbing the assembly that has the roller and two ball bearings and working the assembly out.

I don't know how he accomplished that. When I look in there, I don't see how you can get the roller past the stops that are stamped into the lower track section.

If they can't be disassembled, and suggestions on the best way get 54 years of dirt and old grease from the insides of the track assembly?

Thanks.....Dave

CantRepeat

• View Profile
Re: Can seat tracks be disassembled ???
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 05:02:25 PM »
When I was rebuilding mine I could not get them fully disassembled. There seem to be a piece of the track bent in to keep them from coming completely apart.

That said, I cleaned them with paint thinner, brake cleaner and paint brush. After that I sprayed the bearings with white lithium grease.
-Tim
67 RS/SS Vert C-1 797-Z LOS 11B
EXDL 2EMGR 3SL
4P

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 06:30:43 PM »
^^ & Evapo-Rust then BoeShield T7 or other surface treatments
Painted arm return spring yellow and idler rail slide return spring phosphate.
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2022, 06:34:07 PM »
I've taken them apart. Not a big deal. Someone posted a sticky on TC how to do it. If you do this everyday and even if not, you have to teach yourself how to do things.

169INDY

• View Profile
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2022, 10:11:12 PM »
It's pretty straight forward.  I think I used that TC thread as well.  You do need to apply a little force to get them apart.  Use a mallet instead of a BFH.  And just make sure you don't destroy the two stamped sheet metal pieces with the two captured ball bearings - I don't think they repro those.  Also on the flat piece that bolts to the seat bottom, there are small screw that limit the travel.  Keep track of those, and be sure to reinstall them. 

I used lacquer thinner to remove old paint, then Evaporust for the very light rust.  Since I don't have a points car I painted them a silver color that was very close to the look of raw metal.  You'll also find sheet metal stamps on all the sections of the seat bottoms, and some codes on the tracks.

Not sure why my picture is distorting and rotating 90 degrees.  If you right click and then open in a new tab, it's better.