Author Topic: Will this wheel and tire combo work?  (Read 2363 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Will this wheel and tire combo work?
« on: February 01, 2022, 02:17:28 AM »
I was wondering if someone could give an opinion on a wheel and tire combination I would like run.

I have a '68 coupe that has a Hotchkis TVS suspension kit on it. It has the 2 inch lowering coils in the front and 1 1/2 lowering leafs in the back with front and rear sway bars. All other  suspension components are stock.

I want to run P235/60R 15 BF Goodrich Radial T/A's on 15x7 Torq Thrust D's all around. The Torq Thrust D's have a backspace of 3 3/4.

I don't think there is any trouble with the rear tire interference but with the 2 inch lowering springs in the front, I am concerned about interference in the front.

Has anyone run this combination or something similar and can comment on it?

Thanks.....Dave

Kelley W King

• View Profile
Re: Will this wheel and tire combo work?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 12:42:36 PM »
Dave, you want to post this on TC. Seems like a lot guys with modified suspensions posting there.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 01:12:58 PM »
235's will rub from my experience.  I ran 215 on a 15x6 TT D's on a 67 with stock suspension with no issues.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 02:45:58 PM »
Dave, you want to post this on TC. Seems like a lot guys with modified suspensions posting there.
X2 go to team camaro and do a search as this topic has been discussed many times in fact I think there is even a special sticky.
https://www.camaros.net/threads/1968-wheel-and-tire-combos.153193/

Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2022, 12:04:57 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Sorry I'm so late in getting back.

One thing I forgot to mention if it matters, I do have Koni Classic shocks all the way around. Besides the Koni's and the Hotchkis TVS suspension, then all other suspension components are stock.

Prior to this setup, for years I had a Herb Adams lowering kit and sway bars, 15x7 wheels with 4 7/16" back space, the Koni shocks, and 215/65R15's all the way around. I had no interference problems. I know the 4 7/16 backspace played a part in that.

During the many years I have been restoring this car, I have been to dozens of car shows small and large. I always look at the wheels and tire sizes on '67's and '68's to see what people are able squeeze in the front. I see cars with 235's on Torq Thrust D's all of time. I don't know how they are getting away with it. Of course, they may not have lowering springs.....and maybe they are hitting and the owner just doesn't care.

Since starting this restoration years ago, I've had my heart set on Torq Thrust D's (or a similar wheel) when the restoration was finished and I'm almost there. Besides the TTD's, I've looked at the Torque Thrust II, VN309TTO and the Vintage Wheel Works V40's and V45's in 15 and 16 inch wheels, all 7 inch widths. The back space on all of them is 3 3/4 except one which is 4 inches.

I'm not sure why American Racing and Vintage Wheel Works don't offer these classic and wildly popular wheels in different back spacings.

So am I SOL with this style of wheel ??? Or do I have a chance with the 215/65R15? I'd hate to go any narrower. Or are there any similar wheels from a different manufacturer with greater back spacing?

I have posted this at Team Camaro also.

Thanks......Dave

X66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2022, 06:44:04 AM »
I hope you find your answer. I too will be running torque thrusts on my 69. I don’t know what size tire yet as I am not even close to getting it running. I do like those torque thrusts. I think they’re the best looking mag wheel for any 60’s muscle car.

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2022, 07:56:30 PM »
I love the Torq Thrust D's. I've never seen a car with them where they didn't look good.

So does anyone think I could get away with 215/65R15's with the 3 3/4 back space Torq Thrust D and my lowered suspension?

Are there any Torq Thrust D lookalikes with a greater back spacing than 3 3/4?......If it helps to know this, the distance from the center of my wheel to the top of my front wheel opening is 14 3/4 inches.

Just as a note, I was at a local car show a couple of weeks ago and there were several '67 and '68's there. I was comparing the height of the front ends. I didn't have a measuring tape but I would stand sideways at the front corner of the car with my arm straight down and note the height by were the car came up to on my hand. The ride heights were all over the place. Probably four inches difference between the lowest and the highest. Interestingly, the owner of one car that the height was the same as mine said he had a stock suspension. Not lowered at all......So go figure.

Thanks.......Dave

68 TT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2023, 02:05:51 PM »
I know this post is a year old but just in case it might help the OP or anybody else I figured I would post this.

I have 1968 Corvette AG code 15x7 rally wheels on the front of my 68 Camaro right now. These wheels have the same 3-3/4" back spacing as the OP was asking about and they are currently fit with the same 215/65R15's the OP was later looking into as well. They work fine on the front and do not rub on the inner fender mount bolts at full lock. The typical FW code 15 x 7 rally wheels that have 4-1/4" of back spacing will provide even more room but I don't know if they will cause the tires to hit something else inboard like the sway bar, inner fender well or subframe which I have had other wheels do in the past.

When I first got my car it had 235/60-15's on 7" rims and they rubbed on the inner fender mount bolts. I don't know what the back spacing was on them, it was 37 years ago and I gave those wheels away in favor of some Halibrand skinny front drag wheels. They may fit if the back spacing pulled them in further.

anything