Author Topic: Most famous celeb 'Car Guy'  (Read 6529 times)

maroman

• View Profile
Re: Most famous celeb 'Car Guy'
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2021, 05:03:49 PM »
I guess I should have included Jeff Beck.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2021, 05:47:07 PM »
Just like Dan Blocker, astronaut Gordon Cooper was 'given' a 427 SOHC ('Cammer) powered Galaxie. Another neat car.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2021, 06:10:04 PM »
What is with this TV celebrity worshiping? I know local guys who can build and fabricate cars from scratch and do all their own paintwork. Most guys on these websites are checkbook car owners. My closest wrench turner friend had his cars published in magazines. One of them I hand lettered to its original dragstrip days. I guess I'm not a favorite nor is my friend who is well known in the industry. Chuck Fisher. Owns the Broadway Freddy DiNome Saturday Night Fever car among other other nostaligic flop top drag cars. Two hillbillies who grew up in the same country town and do not own white sneakers.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 06:36:45 PM by Sauron327 »

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2021, 06:25:38 PM »
What is with this celebrity worshiping? I know local guys who can build and fabricate cars from scratch. Most guys on these websites are checkbook car owners. My closest wrench turner friend had his cars publishes in magazines. One of them I hand lettered to its original dragstrip days. I guess I'm not a favorite nor is my friend who is well known in the industry.

I think some are missing the point. I started this thread not for 'celebrity worship', but for most famous celeb car guys. Lets not lose touch on that. As to your point, yes, 'some' celebs are checkbook car owners. Not the ones we are discussing here. Leno, McQueen, Garner, Newman are real car guys. They own, drive/race, and can wrench on them as well.
1968 Olds 442 W-30

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2021, 06:52:36 PM »
My favorite celebrity is non TV car guys are the ones I grew up with locally and work with everyday. Frame machines, bodywork, custom paint, pinstriping and custom fabrication and artwork. Local celebrities.

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2021, 07:17:27 PM »
I think we all have our own local favorites. Like my cousin that took for my first Corvette ride when I was 12, 58 years ago. '61 fuel car that still has original paint. But that's not what this is. Start your own thread.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2021, 07:22:21 PM »
I think we all have our own local favorites. Like my cousin that took for my first Corvette ride when I was 12, 58 years ago. '61 fuel car that still has original paint. But that's not what this is. Start your own thread.

+2.
1968 Olds 442 W-30

Henry Cloutier

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2021, 11:27:32 PM »
So if we are going off the original topic of celebrities I would submit the person I grew up with. He wasn’t a collector or accomplished road racer. He was just a guy who appreciated fast cars. When I was about 11-12 yrs old he had a 1963 Chevy 2 door Impala with a 283 4 barrel 4 speed car. In those days there were still real live gas stations. He was an attendant at a Phillips 66 station on Wadsworth Blvd. just before you would take the ramp to get on I-70. (This was in  Arvada Colo back in the day). During the summer nights I would sit on the front porch waiting for the familiar sound of a small block chevy with a wide open 4 barrel carburetor with otherwise complete silence on Carr hill. I’m sure I don’t need to explain further except to say he is the reason I became a chevy person particularly small blocks. My first car in high school was a 1968 327 4 speed Camaro. I learned from him how to make chevies go fast albeit in straight line fashion. He had broader views of cars than I did back then and succeeded in having a compliment of GTO’S and big block Camaro’s. I lost touch with him many years ago and hope he is still enjoying his fast car passion although he was 16-17 yrs old back then and I’m now 66. I’ve had the great fortune to re-acquaint myself with my dream car and now own a 1969 Z28 Camaro. Small block meca for me thanks to him!