Author Topic: Most famous celeb 'Car Guy'  (Read 6531 times)

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
Most famous celeb 'Car Guy'
« on: December 23, 2021, 05:42:07 PM »
Who is your most famous celeb 'Car Guy'?
This guy gets my vote...
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
Re: Most famous celeb 'Car Guy'
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2021, 07:53:53 PM »
Paul Newman has to be right up there as well.....and I'm sure no list isn't complete without Jay Leno.
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

jwbavalon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2021, 08:12:27 PM »
Jay Leno covers all cars not just ones most of use could never afford.

uscrichter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2021, 08:39:52 PM »
Who doesn't love a Camaro guy! I didn't miss an episode of the Rockford Files after school in the 70's

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2021, 06:02:11 PM »
Here are James 'Jimmy' Garner, and another big time car guy, Dan Blocker with their cars...
1968 Olds 442 W-30

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2021, 06:06:15 PM »
Jay with just a couple (of many) of his cars.
1968 Olds 442 W-30

uscrichter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2021, 10:21:09 PM »
The Tonight show has never been the same! But he does have a great car show!

Henry Cloutier

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2021, 12:06:39 PM »

The King of Cool of course, Steve McQueen!

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2021, 08:57:16 PM »
How about people who are not celebrities and have large collections? They don't count? Like your local gearhead who turns wrenches and does bodywork and paint everdyay. I deal with them all week. My friend and his wife own over 60 classics including funny cars. No disrespect but I'm not going to worship a celebrity.  Has anyone seen the two brothers who have the largest collection of muscle cars. Google it. Surprised it is not posted on this site. They do not want the world to know who they are. But they do have some cars that they beat the living heck out of. Gearheads.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 09:39:40 PM by Sauron327 »

camaroboy68ss

• 1968 L30/M20
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2021, 10:43:31 PM »
How about people who are not celebrities and have large collections? They don't count? Like your local gearhead who turns wrenches and does bodywork and paint everdyay. I deal with them all week. My friend and his wife own over 60 classics including funny cars. No disrespect but I'm not going to worship a celebrity.  Has anyone seen the two brothers who have the largest collection of muscle cars. Google it. Surprised it is not posted on this site. They do not want the world to know who they are. But they do have some cars that they beat the living heck out of. Gearheads.

Ive been through that Brothers Collection, its just jaw dropping at the stuff in there.
Young gun with a Camaro or 2.
1968 Camaro RS L30/M20, 2017 Camaro SS
1968 Chevy C10 - Twin to the Camaro
1933 Ford Pickup - "Camaro in disguise"

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2021, 11:40:31 PM »
327, (from me as Friendly discussion wise please)I think you CAN have it Both ways, On "MY" pretty boy garage man cave I have photos or signatures of Grumpy, Yenko (Daughter), Edelbrock,  etc and My local friends cars and/or funny or historical to us locals - group photos of coffee clutch guys and their cars on my walls to Worship (?)  odd, I  would more say appreciate, the History and Friends.
In Fact I have a Cabinet where I rotate Photos of OLD shows or racing pictures of Close Buddies Hot rods & they look forward to the display during garage parties and BBQ's.
I even went so far to make a Costco Calander with our local Friday street tire Drags picks of Friends Cars at the track and included their B days on the Calander, (TEAM-17) It was  a great "gag" gift one year, So I would agree I "worship" (cherish) my Friends and the resulting car & Buddie long term relationships much more than any Celeb.

To the O.P I would concur with your selection.

Brothers is in Ore. so I hope to drive just a little bit south some day and take it in via a club invitation or such if and when it is available.
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2021, 04:16:21 AM »
If you want to stick with nominating celebrities, there are a few that have endured the test of time (like McQueen, Jim Garner, a few others) that a lot of us looked up to for their movie roles like Bullitt and Grand Prix (which is the one I think of for Garner). Move over into the pure car guys, and you can think of legends like Yunick, racers like Jenkins, builders like Lingenfelter, and on and on. I personally admire a couple of local gentlemen that have had (and still have) collections that include a whole raft of Chevrolet and GM's finest, with one having at one time in his museum some 18-20 Yenko Camaros (every color and transmission option), '8's and '9's, along with a ZL-1 (sold at Mecum this year), '67 and '69 Pace Cars (multiples), Yenko Deuce Novas, and a real diverse collection of high performance cars (including Mustangs and T Bolts). 50 + cars. And the semi-retired collector SE of here, with, at one time, 100+ Chevys, including one of every convertible that Chevy made from '26 to about 1970. Unfortunately, a lot of that collection went through auction under Kruse some years back. And not to forget Floyd Garrett (of Muscle Car Museum in Sevierville, TN), or Doug Marion of Super Chevy. Those are just some of the people that have inspired my hobby for many years. Probably a lot of us -

Regards,
Steve

P.S. I would be remiss if I didn't include Zora Arkus Duntov - even though he is more famous for being the father of the Corvette, I remember him more for the 302, and the "30-30" Duntov camshaft that I used in my '57 BelAir. Anybody with Chevrolet in his/her blood should think of him - 
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2021, 04:51:20 PM »
Guys,
Friends and other non-celeb people and local 'celebs' are ones to cherish. However, keep in mind I started this thread for 'Most famous celeb Car Guys'. Lets try and keep on topic. That said, I am in favor of a new thread for our friends, car collectors, and local heroes. Happy New Year to everyone!
1968 Olds 442 W-30

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2021, 05:00:50 PM »
James Hetfield from Metallica. Not my favorite but I respect his interest in cars. I don't have favorites.

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2021, 05:02:52 PM »
Crossboss, I completely understand your intent. I would say Leno wins hands down. He has interest in ALL types of cars, can work on them himself, and drives them all. He knows and is just as proud of his Hudson as he is his Chrysler turbine. McQueen and Garner are right there as they could drive the wheels off and weren't afraid to do it. Dan Blocker, Hoss Cartwright, enjoyed his cars in many ways including watch real drivers handle them. Anyone that has owned a Z-16 gets points in my book, even if it was given to him.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new