Author Topic: 69 pace car - Does this VIN match the date code on trim tag? Is it a pace car?  (Read 2311 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
I saw this on ebay and noted that the VIN seemed to maybe just barely match the date code.  Records show that N628000 VIN's began in April and thus, an 04C date code would be off slightly.  Also, this car was listed and sold at Barrett Jackson back in 2010 with a listed date code of 04D.  Did someone change the trim tag? 

Also, I question this being a real Z11, as there are just a few things off slightly.  For example, the seat headrests (non-angled) are too early for being a pace car.  The air cleaner is wrong, the wheels are wrong, among a few other minor issues.  It could or could not be what the listing says, and I have questions.  Anyone else have an opinion? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275064139337

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1969-CHEVROLET-CAMARO-INDY-PACE-CAR-CONVERTIBLE-82447

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
N628899 was final assembled on or about April 17. Been the db for 12 years, tag noted as 04C back then.

The ad has pics of body and VIN tags, both look fine. Wheels are stated to be 14", look correct to me. Air cleaner is not the correct version for an L48 auto and is missing the flange/seal assembly. Interior is a bit shabby, cut for aftermarket speakers. The headrests look recovered, not original to the car.

Not my cup 'o tea, but a column auto a/c Z11 is very unusual. Hope it stays that way.
Learning more and more about less and less...

Kelley W King

• View Profile
I can,t comment about the tags but I like the car. Kind of pricy for a driver, but air, RS, SS, verts are nice. Add to that if it is a real pace car. Shame someone cut spreakers into the orange door panels.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

sdkar

• View Profile
I am wondering then...was there a problem at GM in the beginning of April of 69?  I cannot for the life of me find a single pace car with a build date of 04A or 04B.  Strike?  Or did they just not build pace cars at that time frame?

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
There were no 04A or 04B Camaro orders released at Norwood. April 4 - 11 Norwood only built Firebirds.

April 1-3 were 03E Camaros, still a few remaining in the body bank when production resumed April 14.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
April 4 - 11 Norwood only built Firebirds.
No - I think that was the changeover to include Firebirds.
Kurt S
CRG

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
John Z told me that years ago and NCRS docs support it.

N626098 - NCRS build date 4/3/69
N626575 - NCRS build date 4/14/69

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Yes, there was a pause in production. That's when they reconfigured the line to add the Firebird.
No Firebirds were made during that period other than possibly a few pilot cars.
First NOR F-birds were 04C.
Kurt S
CRG

rjprice

• View Profile
John Z told me that years ago and NCRS docs support it.

N626098 - NCRS build date 4/3/69
N626575 - NCRS build date 4/14/69

Just Curious.  N626575 is my 03E pace car.  Wondering if you guys got the NCRS data from when I posted it or if you had another source?  Now I understand why my car has an April engine/rear and a March trim tag.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
You posted the info on Camaros.Net on July 30, 2007. 

anything