Author Topic: Sport coupe  (Read 2441 times)

Dannyj74

• View Profile
Sport coupe
« on: October 21, 2021, 09:43:48 AM »
So I did a vin search with a company and it come back as a sport coupe. What exactly is a sport coupe?

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Re: Sport coupe
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 12:45:24 PM »
Actually, all Camaros are sports coupes...
A sports coupe is a class of car that is defined by the presence of two doors, a small-sized interior, and a generally sporty look. There is little practical difference between a coupe and a sports coupe. Sports coupes often have sleeker profiles, and may come with more “sporty” options.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

Dannyj74

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 01:23:26 PM »
I have been seeing that term more as of lately.
I appreciate the input.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 01:28:09 PM »

... except for convertibles....  :)   although I suppose one could call those a 'drop top coupe'... ?    :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 01:55:28 PM »

... except for convertibles....  :)   although I suppose one could call those a 'drop top coupe'... ?    :)
Or a convertible with the top up is "a soft top coupe"? But so much for splitting hairs...😏

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2021, 05:33:40 PM »
It should be 'Pony-Car'? Sport Coupes are generally speaking, Monte Carlos, Thunderbirds, etc. In later years (80s-90s), they could be defined as 'Sporty Personal' that would include the GM10 cars like Grand Prix, Lumina, and also Buick Grand Nationals, Monte Carlos and Thunderbirds. They are 2 doors, and 4 seats. 'Sports Cars' are Corvettes, Porsche 911, and Cobras. Sound reasonable?
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 08:48:54 PM »
In their literature back in the day, Chevrolet refered to the Comaro coupe as a "2-door sports coupe" and the convertible as a " 2-door convertible" (I stand corrected!).  I looked at several First Gen window stickers that I have, and under Model, it states "2-door sports coupe" or "2-door convertible". 

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2021, 08:56:57 PM »
In their literature back in the day, Chevrolet refered to the Comaro coupe as a "2-door sports coupe" and the convertible as a " 2-door convertible" (I stand corrected!).  I looked at several First Gen window stickers that I have, and under Model, it states "2-door sports coupe" or "2-door convertible".

I guess that would make sense. Kinda doubt it would say "Pony Car' in/on the literature/window stickers. I also believe Chrysler called the 'Cudas and Challegers 'Coupes'. Ford, on the other hand called Mustang 'Hardtop', 'Convertible', and 'Fastback/Sports Roof'.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2021, 09:24:55 PM »
I guess that would make sense. Kinda doubt it would say "Pony Car' in/on the literature/window stickers. I also believe Chrysler called the 'Cudas and Challegers 'Coupes'. Ford, on the other hand called Mustang 'Hardtop', 'Convertible', and 'Fastback/Sports Roof'.
Yes!  The other words that the manufacturers and media used like "Pony Car" were phrased to draw interest and sell cars...

Terms like convertible, coupe, landaulet, limousine, roadster, sedan and station wagon are body styles which came into being in the late 19th century and 20th century.  Late 20th and 21st century body styles added terms like crossover, hatchback, and sport utility vehicle.

Come to think of it, if anyone has a piece of Chevrolet Factory Literature that refers to the Camaro as a "Pony Car", I'd like to see it!