Author Topic: 09B SS Camaro Rally Wheel search  (Read 8465 times)

Charley

• View Profile
Re: 09B SS Camaro Rally Wheel search
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2021, 04:14:54 PM »
Just a ink stamp on the back in that pic.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2021, 05:02:23 PM »
Good deal.  That first photo threw me off.  Thanks for confirming the ink.

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2021, 07:26:06 PM »
All 5 XT's are dated correct for the car and the spare tire is dated correct for the car so I'm certain these are all 5 orig. XT rims that came on this car.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2021, 07:49:24 PM »
Charley, I'm going to throw mud on your car by telling you a story. One that happened to me.

Back in 1990, I purchased a new Chevy S-10 Blazer. I wanted a black exterior with gray interior S-10 but it had to have a manual transmission. The dealership didn't have one in stock so after doing a network search, they found one up in Bakersfield (about 150 miles away). I put a down payment on the truck and when it came in a few days later, it was exactly what I wanted EXCEPT it had the butt-ugly (IMO) aluminum wheels! I was hemming and hawing about getting the truck with those wheels and was trying to make a deal to get the price down, when the sales guy said he could swap out those wheels for the Rally wheels I originally wanted. I asked him how long it would take to get the wheels and he said he could just swap them out with another truck he had sitting on the lot. Not only did he swap the wheels, but he also threw in the rear spare tire carrier and cover to cover the price difference between the aluminum wheels and the Rally wheels. I was satisfied. (By the way, that was a GREAT truck!! 4.3L V6 with the Getrag 5 speed manual transmission. I ran it for 13 years before trading it in on a 2003 Toyota Highlander.)

I'm not saying this is what happened in your particular case, but as we know, a lot of things can and do happen at dealerships. Your Rally wheels may not have been what the original owner cared for so they may have swapped out the Rally wheels with the XT wheels. And why aren't they body color? Because perhaps they came from a Cortez Silver car that was also on the lot at the same time? This would explain the color and all 5 being the same date. As for the funky caps, I too believe that was done by a prior owner (MAYBE the dealer but highly doubtful) since the factory wouldn't have done it.

Again, not saying this is what happened, but it's one possibility. Unless you can find absolute proof one way or the other, you'll never know.

Ed

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2021, 09:13:05 PM »
But my orig. owner wanted and ordered Rally Wheels. He also says these are what came on it new when he picked it up at the dealership that he had ordered it thru. He put mag wheels on it later. I may never know but finding a YJ wheel dated for this car would be a indicator that they were at least made. If the dealer was stealing the Rally's off my car for another customer car they would be short the Rally wheel center sections plus trim rings and probably need to order them. Why not just order Rally's, trim rings and center caps for the other car ?

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2021, 09:49:34 PM »
If the dealer was stealing the Rally's off my car for another customer car they would be short the Rally wheel center sections plus trim rings and probably need to order them.

Not really. Although rare, base wheels were available with P06 trim rings so all they needed to do was swap your Rally's out with another car's base wheels with P06. Heck, they may have even had the P06 trim rings in the service department (P/N 3934892). They would have also installed the dog dish caps from the donor car, so nothing needed to be ordered. If he's saying the funky caps were on the car when he picked it up, I'm a HUGE doubter.

Ed

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2021, 12:59:19 AM »
He absolutely says that. If August 68 Rally Wheels are out there it would lend credence to your theory which is why I am asking for any examples.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2021, 02:27:11 AM »
Charley I checked the database and the YH wheels start showing up in early December, 1968. I then checked for XG 14x6 Rally wheels and while I didn't see anything note worthy in there, I checked Martin's wheel spreadsheet of known XG dates and he's got K18 5 8 XG (May 5th, 1968) and K18 11 8 XG (November 8th, 1968). Nothing for August, 1968 for either the YH or the XG.

We know wheels were built in HUGE batches, so it's not surprising to find such a huge gap in date codes. This doesn't mean there aren't any, it's just that we've not found any.

I'm wondering if XG wheels were used for the start of the 1969 model year until the YH wheels became available. Just a theory...

Also note that there isn't a lot of data points for wheels so take this into consideration.

Ed

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2021, 03:09:17 AM »
Ed, check YJ’s not YH’s..  if you see one of my previous posts I mentioned having a set of 10/19/68.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2021, 03:21:44 AM »
Oops. Sorry. YJ wheels start the second week of October, 1968 (10B).

But again, not a ton of data.

Ed

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2021, 04:29:51 AM »
My car is a 09B but has Rally Wheels on the Window sticker. The XT wheels that I believe came on the car new are all dated 8-17. 8-17 would be a pretty good match for a 09B car.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2021, 03:01:15 PM »
The XT wheels that I believe came on the car new are all dated 8-17. 8-17 would be a pretty good match for a 09B car.

It would also be a pretty good match for every other Camaro that happened to be on the lot at the time.

But we'll keep looking and hopefully more wheel data points will come in. What we really need is for Kurt or William (who hopefully have some docs from that time period) to look through them and see how many had Rally wheels, then see if those cars are in the database with XT wheels. It's a (VERY) long shot, but it might tell us something.

Ed

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2021, 03:06:50 PM »
What I was told was this dealer did not deal in high performance cars and were worried that if the buyer that ordered did not come back from the military they would be stuck with a car they couldn't sell so they probably didn't have much in the way of XT wheel cars on the lot.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2021, 03:12:40 PM »
One other thing... These same Rally wheels were also used on the Nova so you might want to check some of those forums to see if this subject has come up there.

Ed

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2021, 01:22:12 AM »
William stated on SYC that there are other early SS cars with Rally Wheels in the data base here......

anything