Author Topic: Something Around Locating Pin on Leaf Spring  (Read 1713 times)

dtep

• View Profile
Something Around Locating Pin on Leaf Spring
« on: October 16, 2021, 12:03:46 AM »
I took the monoleaf rearend out of my 68 RS and found what looks like a bead of metal around the locating pin on the leaf spring brackets on the axle tubes.  It is light grey in the picture and is on the bottom of the leaf spring keeping me from getting it out of the bracket.  It is fairly uniform around about 90% of the pin, but the last 10% it thins out to nothing on both springs.  On the left spring there are two drops of what looks like weld spatter (one is shown at 11 o'clock) on the spring.  I made a couple of passes over it with a file to make the bright area at 11 o'clock on the bead.  Neither the assembly manual or chassis repair manual say anything about putting something around the pin after the spring is in place.  Can anyone tell me what this is so I can figure out how to get the (broken) springs out of the brackets?  Thanks

dtep

• View Profile
Re: Something Around Locating Pin on Leaf Spring
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 02:23:22 AM »
Maybe I'm figuring out the answer to my own question.  I looked at the new rubber insulator pads that I have and see that one of each pair does not have a hole for this pin to go through it like I thought.  So, can someone please confirm that this pin is not part of the bracket like I assumed, but is welded onto the spring itself?  Thank you

anything