Author Topic: 1969 Radio Question  (Read 5799 times)

Krateness

• View Profile
1969 Radio Question
« on: August 25, 2021, 11:00:30 AM »
I know this is probably a dead horse by now but since having previously tried to research the topic on here, I’m still a bit confused.

I’m restoring a early July car with standard interior. Car was fairly original and untouched but the radio was out of the car. Though there was a radio that came with the car, through some research I found this radio to be incorrect. Where I’m getting a bit hung up at is that there wasn’t a multiplex unit above the glovebox which I felt like there should have been given the look that it hadn’t been messed with. I keep seeing that a “blue light” should be what im needing but I see those as multiplex unit radios.

can anyone help point me in the right direction of what I’m needing before I spend money on something that would be incorrect?

Thanks
Andy

camaronut

• View Profile
Re: 1969 Radio Question
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2021, 11:11:19 AM »
Check out this thread:  http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=11124.0

and this one: http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=2091.0;all

Also type in "radio" in the upper right search box, then sit back and read to your hearts content.

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2021, 12:08:09 PM »
Is your antenna mast telescoping & where is it mounted?...Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

Krateness

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 12:59:20 PM »
Is your antenna mast telescoping & where is it mounted?...Joe

Car is a D80 car so front fender but antenna was gone. The car was pretty much 50% disassembled when purchased. The fenders were off and thus the antenna removed during that more than likely. The dash was still in the car and it was still fully harnessed so that is what made me think nothing had been messed with. I did remove a speaker from under the dash but any rear speakers were gone, if there were any.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 01:20:24 PM »
More than likely your car came with an AM radio since the AM/FM stereo had 4 speakers (two in the kick panel and two in the rear package shelf). If you have a console, you wouldn't have the AM/FM stereo because it wasn't available with the console.

You "may" have had the AM/FM mono radio, but only 8,271 cars came with that option so the chances are slim.

Ed

Krateness

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 01:39:57 PM »
More than likely your car came with an AM radio since the AM/FM stereo had 4 speakers (two in the kick panel and two in the rear package shelf). If you have a console, you wouldn't have the AM/FM stereo because it wasn't available with the console.

You "may" have had the AM/FM mono radio, but only 8,271 cars came with that option so the chances are slim.

Ed

I have a ‘69 91BFP1 AM/FM non-stereo radio sourced but again wasn’t sure if that was correct so figured id ask for guidance.

Car is an original Yenko with automatic so no console as those were column shift. If it was any other car I may not care as to trying to get the correct one but given what it is I wanted to give it the best shot at obtaining what it needs.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2021, 01:56:44 PM »
Just because it's a Yenko, doesn't mean it came with an AM/FM radio. Lots came with the AM and even more came with no radio at all!

Ed

Krateness

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2021, 02:32:51 PM »
Just because it's a Yenko, doesn't mean it came with an AM/FM radio. Lots came with the AM and even more came with no radio at all!

Ed

No I was just saying that because it was a column shift car there wasn’t a console. I’ll try hunting down an AM radio and see what pops up.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2021, 04:04:24 PM »
There's a fairly nice looking 91APB1 (AM radio) on EBAY right now for $250 plus shipping (or best offer) that's been refurbished with a 6 month warranty.

There's also a REALLY nice looking refurbished 91BFP1 (AM/FM mono radio) on EBAY for $1300 complete with the bracket, knobs, harnesses, speaker and even the U80 rear speaker option!

You could go either way and still be "correct". Heck, if you really wanted to, you could even install the AM/FM stereo but it would probably cost at least double if not triple what that AM/FM mono is on ebay. You'd have to source all the parts required, but it could be done. Some of the parts are being reproduced, so mostly just the radio and the 91FMP11 multiplex would need to be found. I think all the rest is being reproduced like the harnesses, speakers, speaker covers, etc...

Ed

WorkinProgress

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2021, 04:29:41 PM »
The best way to see if your car came with an FM or FM Stereo radio would be to see if you have the static collectors in the the front grease caps. If you do not have them odds are pretty good your car originally had an AM radio or no radio.

Check out this eBay auction to see what the collectors look like. They snap inside the grease cap.

- Warren

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334122322724?hash=item4dcb3e0b24:g:TXcAAOSwGtFgVRCk&vxp=mtr

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2021, 04:37:58 PM »
Static collectors weren't used in 1969.

Ed

WorkinProgress

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2021, 05:06:10 PM »
Static collectors were used in 1969.

- Warren

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2021, 06:20:28 PM »
Sorry Warren. I'm not going to get in a p!55!ng contest with you but they weren't. Read THIS from John Hinckley.

That's "carryover NOTE removed", which reflects removal of the '68 static collectors; after many years of installing them, they finally determined that the collectors didn't accomplish anything, and cancelled them on all car lines.

There's a slim chance that some very early 69's came with the collectors, but certainly not on Andy's July, 1969 car.

However, I'm not here to change anyone's mind. You believe what you want to believe and I'll believe what I want to believe.

But getting back to Andy. It looks like you purchased the AM radio on ebay that I referenced above?

Ed

WorkinProgress

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2021, 06:23:44 PM »
The only reason I am saying they came on 1969 Camaros's two things. One I bought an NOS AM-FM radio kit and they were in there. Second is where I learned about the static collectors, is someone back around 1980 picked them out of a Camaro I scrapped parts pile. I think it was a January built.

So, maybe the radio kit was an early kit. Not sure what to say on the January built car though.

Ed, do you have any info that says they were dropped in 1969? Did they find they really did not serve any purpose after studies on '68 and earlier cars?

- Warren

WorkinProgress

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2021, 06:30:22 PM »
Hi Ed,

No I do not want anyone to get into a pissing contest. I see you posted a response just minutes before I did. I am only going by the NOS radio kit I had and the grease caps off of the January car I scrapped. I knew nothing about the collectors until the early eighties when someone pointed them out to me.

Do you think a dealer might have installed them on a car in '69 if someone was getting static or was it proven they just didn't work?

Thanks, Warren