Author Topic: The end of Camaro?  (Read 6637 times)

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

maroman

• View Profile
Re: The end of Camaro?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 01:44:01 AM »
So will NASCAR go electric? Just sayin'.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 09:55:21 PM »
This classic comment from a friend on another car site concerning electric cars. I believe its worth posting here too:
    "I just returned from Sonoma and on the way back I stopped at Harris Ranch for lunch. There were TEN Teslas in the "charging area" waiting to recharge with only three hooked up! That to me means you are STUCK there for hours (potentially) because you have to wait to recharge. I will keep my gross polluter."
1968 Olds 442 W-30

Z10Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2021, 12:33:23 AM »
Just wait.  The list of vehicles getting the axe will continue to expand as the current captains of industry pursue their politically-driven pipe dream.
Gas/electric hybrid vehicles I understand.  But all electric?  Any bets that infrastructure can't be built up by 2030 or even 2035 to meet the demand for ALL-electric?  And what will be generating those wonderful "clean energy" electrons?  Solar cells? Or natural gas, coal or nuclear generation?  Construction proposals for new plants based on these technologies have difficulty being approved.  They're "climate change" contributors per federal agencies.  And we will need to greatly increase generation capacity to meet demand.  So if Big Brother mandates all good comrades have electric vehicles,  how many tens of millions of people will be waiting in line to charge their electric vehicles every night?  Will that have a direct impact on where you live?  Will you have to move much closer to your workplace?  Will your freedom of movement be impacted?  All things to seriously consider.  I have to ask why the average family would consider buying into this debacle.  Just shaking my head...

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 04:07:47 AM »
From my understanding eventually there will be “e-stations” that you will pull up and batteries will be swapped (ie much like refilling at a service station) and off you will go.  It’ll be an automated deal since all the batteries are underneath these cars it’ll be like plug and play much like your electric drills and impacts.

PURESS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 12:55:06 PM »
Is lithium going to run out?
But Electric Vehicles by and large need lithium for their batteries. As the success of EV's taking market share continues, so too will the need for lithium. ... In the report, UBS advances the notion that at today's prices, lithium might run out by 2025. Read that one more time: Lithium could run out by 2025.Apr 14, 2021

Is there a lithium replacement for batteries?
Lithium-ion batteries are the most popular battery storage option today, controlling more than 90% of the global grid battery storage market, according to some estimates. However, the lithium-ion supply chain is becoming constrained.Jan 4, 2021

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2021, 04:21:44 PM »
Without trying to get political I have a serious question. I just returned from a 6100 mile drive across the country.  I saw thousands of windmills and over half were sitting still. I get wind power, I know it works. But why are so many just sitting there, they can't all be down for maintenance. We would see 50 in a group and maybe 35 would be setting still. WHY?? If it's so great why not back off the coal and nukes and let the wind produce?

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2021, 08:12:09 PM »
Unfortunately, it IS political. Example, the windmills near Palm Springs are running at 1/4 capacity. Why? Most are not working, run down, and are needing repairs. No funding is the reason. With all of this liberal speak of 'Green', its all talk no action. Their answers are lets throw money at it and it will fix itself. Yet, the 'money' is used for their own political agendas, and personal projects/paybacks to their lobbyists.
1968 Olds 442 W-30

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2021, 11:51:47 PM »
Maybe the 1T new green deal will solve these problems.

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2021, 12:28:52 AM »

1T? Try the next one @ 3.5 Trillion!
1968 Olds 442 W-30

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2021, 01:25:38 AM »
Take a calculator and ask how long a trillion seconds is. I did this with the thought if they gave away 1 trillion and replaced it one dollar every second 24-7 how long would it take to return it? How many trillion have been given away in the last year?

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2021, 05:40:29 PM »

1T? Try the next one @ 3.5 Trillion!

Yeah, they quite happily say 1T is a down payment.

ggtsvnv

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2021, 03:15:53 AM »
Big red is very cool. while i like orginal cars I don't mind cars that have been modified if they're no longer matching numbers. It helps keep the interest in classic cars alive. If it helps spark the interest of one young person and helps keep them out of trouble it's worth it. Last there's nothing wrong with humbling Lamborghini,  Ferrari and other exotic owners.

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2021, 12:40:15 AM »
The whole idea of an electric Camaro taking over doesn't seem that appealing to me and some of my Camaro enthusiast friends.  Yeah they might make tons of torque and go fast, but the whole "experience" is lost.

On the other hand, the Mach-E isn't blistering any sales records.  In fact FMC is not making anymore unless they get a customer order.  To me, its not a real mustang.  It's not meant to be, but the thought of a Chevy doing the same with the Camaro?.....
Sorry, just not my thing - I'm not buying it.

In terms of todays low sales of the Camaro - where are the tv commercials?  There are none.  How da hell is anyone to know about how great the Camaro really is.  It out performs 99% of any pony car out there - and it's way last in sales.
I'm amazed at the dodge commercials with the Ricky Bobby theme.  Are people that easy to fool into buying a dodge challenger based on that craziness?  I shake my head in amazement ever time I see it.
Remember - If you aint first - yer last!!!!   Yeeeehaa!   
Yeah right.

I've read that the challenger and mustang "stayed with its roots and didn't go too far" like the Camaro.  Maybe those folks are right.  I've driven a 2018 SS 1LE 6-speed.  My god - what a car.  it has it all - the performance and looks and no one wants one.

I don't get it.

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2021, 12:57:02 AM »
The whole idea of an electric Camaro taking over doesn't seem that appealing to me and some of my Camaro enthusiast friends.  Yeah they might make tons of torque and go fast, but the whole "experience" is lost.

On the other hand, the Mach-E isn't blistering any sales records.  In fact FMC is not making anymore unless they get a customer order.  To me, its not a real mustang.  It's not meant to be, but the thought of a Chevy doing the same with the Camaro?.....
Sorry, just not my thing - I'm not buying it.

In terms of todays low sales of the Camaro - where are the tv commercials?  There are none.  How da hell is anyone to know about how great the Camaro really is.  It out performs 99% of any pony car out there - and it's way last in sales.
I'm amazed at the dodge commercials with the Ricky Bobby theme.  Are people that easy to fool into buying a dodge challenger based on that craziness?  I shake my head in amazement ever time I see it.
Remember - If you aint first - yer last!!!!   Yeeeehaa!   
Yeah right.

I've read that the challenger and mustang "stayed with its roots and didn't go too far" like the Camaro.  Maybe those folks are right.  I've driven a 2018 SS 1LE 6-speed.  My god - what a car.  it has it all - the performance and looks and no one wants one.

I don't get it.

Reason Camaro sales are in the toilet is not because its a fast, good handling car (it is), its the current styling--too disco for most. Also remember, Camaro can't be sold this model year in California because of a stupid law prohibiting copper in the brake linings. Ya think GM would have known this ahead of time and rectified this problem. Duh! Bad marketing and PR on GM. Challenger is a hell of a car--fast, roomy, offing many different models, eg Hell Cat, Red Eye Wide Body, GT, etc and it has the best styling of the three. Thats not just my opinion, its currently the sales leader. Everywhere I go, I see so many of them.
I agree, that UGLY Mach-E is a disaster...another marketing turd on Ford's part. Sometimes you wonder who makes these dumb moves in Detroit...
1968 Olds 442 W-30

anything