Author Topic: T/A fuel fillers  (Read 2708 times)

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
T/A fuel fillers
« on: July 29, 2021, 05:44:21 PM »
I'm sure this topic has been beat to death. However, I have a question: Was this type of Trans-Am fuel filler made by one company for all competitors OR was made by each team? Jon?
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

MO

• View Profile
Re: T/A fuel fillers
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 10:31:27 PM »
Comparing that pic to others, I would say they were not all off the shelf items.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 05:04:58 AM »
I am BY NO MEANS an expert but it looks like the top tier teams all had some sort of fabricated deal like that by 1969……but 1967 & 68 (and probably 66 too ) didn’t look to be the case.

Those years it looked like the majority were using one by a company called Enots out of Birmingham, England. I believe the style was called the “Aston”…..you would find them on motorcycles, Cobras, boats (my background), indy cars of the day…..all types of stuff. They came in different diameters and they were actually chrome plated brass. There are knock off repos in Aluminum but the real deal ones are brass.

I think the Johnny Moore car has one on the side right Jon?

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 12:23:30 PM »
So the Guldstrand car appears to have a large one made out of ALUMINUM….I stand corrected as I have seen this style in pics as well.

Anyone know who makes this?

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 04:54:51 PM »
I have to agree with the last two comments. It appears the top portion (the fuel dump/flapper), is consistent among all competitors, Ford, Chevy, etc. I do see different bottom portions among the other teams/cars. So, it is possible that the top was 'common' and the bottom portions were made by each of the teams. It appears likely on this since I have seen Hollman & Moody tanks and oil coolers used on Fords and Chevys. Jon, what do you conclude?
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 01:41:20 AM »
I believe they are all custom made and that none of it is from an off-the-shelf item.  They are inherently similar but not identical.  This is in reference to the '69 era fillers with the filler doors which you push and the door flaps downward.  The one on the #56 Guldstrand built car (shown below) has an oval shaped attachment that goes down and back and the door underneath flips down in the opposite direction.

My Johnny Moore car has the 3.5" diameter Enots style cap which is sometimes referred to as a Sebring or LeMans filler caps.  I have not ever heard of it called an Aston style cap but it very well could be on the other side of the Pond.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 02:43:58 PM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 01:44:05 AM »
Penske filler
Jon Mello
CRG

anything