Author Topic: My 1968 Z/28 Update  (Read 1294 times)

jwbavalon

• View Profile
My 1968 Z/28 Update
« on: June 24, 2021, 04:48:54 PM »
The GM official production date for my ’68 Z/28 (8L344513) was 24 June 1968, that makes her 53 years old.  I’ve owned the car since July of 2020 and it was a sight unseen purchase.  Time for a quick update.

I thought I knew something about 1st Gen Camaros but with each day the less I know.  It is a continual learning experience but that was one of the reasons for the purchase of the Z.  As I mentioned it was bought sight unseen with no documentation and only a number of pictures.  After a few days corresponding with the previous owner’s broker, I made the plunge.  It was a gamble on my part but it paid off.

As everyone says, without documentation it is “just another ‘68 Camaro”.  There is nothing wrong with “just another ’68 Camaro” but I wanted to confirm it was a Z.  Using “Chick’s Time for another ‘68 Z/28 to be Restored” thread, the CRG Discussion Forum, and Jerry MacNeish’s Definitive 1967-1968 Z/28 Fact Book as references, I mapped out a plan.  In the end, I now have hundreds of photographs (many of the same part from a different angles) of every part casting number, date code or stamping code that I could access.  I removed panels and even disassembled everything attached to the engine to access the info.  I used a borescope and mirrors where I could not remove items.

From the photographs, I prepared a documentation report and sent it off to Jerry MacNeish for a data analysis.  Jerry’s report states that in his opinion this car is an original 1968 Z/28.  The engine, transmission, rear end and hidden VIN are original to the car as were most of the ancillary equipment.  He also said, based on the photos, that this car appears to be a very unmolested car.  I must admit the previous restorer did an admiral job is keeping parts original or era correct.

My previous ownership of a similar car was back in 1970 with a L78 Nova.  It was a long time ago, so I’m relearning how to rebuild and tune a Holley carburetor, adjust solid lifters but more important how to drive again.  Driving was more involved in the past requiring constant attention, or so it seems.  Then there is the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear whine, the lumpy idle and of course the exhaust and intake noise.  The quote that the owner’s manual in the ‘60s told you how to adjust the valves, the owner’s manual in 2021 tells you not to drink the battery acid.  We have come a long way but sometimes on the sunny days, it is good to be back in 1968.

Thanks to all the forum members for your continuing help.

169INDY

• View Profile
Re: My 1968 Z/28 Update
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 05:47:29 PM »
Looks Great Keep Having Fun with it!

Wish the "Boarder" was open & you could bring it down to the Issaquah (Seattle) WA July Camaro show.

Jim
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

maroman

• View Profile
Re: My 1968 Z/28 Update
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 07:43:37 PM »
I've always liked this color. Good find.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

anything