Author Topic: Fold down rear seat question  (Read 2684 times)

Jmoore9622

• View Profile
Fold down rear seat question
« on: June 21, 2021, 12:05:31 PM »
The car is a ‘68 and the metal bar that goes across the top of the seat with two end caps is called what? I’m trying to find the end caps and having a hell of time. The picture is for reference.

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Fold down rear seat question
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 03:34:26 PM »
That's exactly what they're called. CAPS - Group 15.011, P/N's 7648451 (right) and 7648452 (left). Discontinued in 1975 so you're going to have a very difficult time finding them. Your only option is to find a beat up fold down seat with them still attached (hopefully cheap). Note that the Firebird was also the same, so there's another possibility.

Ed

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 03:58:53 PM »
You could ask the folks at Heartbeat City - beware though - he knows what he has.

Camaro Specialties - same deal.

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 05:00:24 PM »
Yeah, another part made from Unobtainium.  I even looked into having once made on a 3D printer using the opposite side and asking if they could make a mirror image/opposite side print, but got nowhere.  I was also holding out hope that during my recent restoration the missing one would be found somewhere inside, but no luck.  Last one I saw for sale was both ends and the middle trim piece in very ratty condition on eBay, and as I recall it went for at least $150-$200 maybe even more.     

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 05:20:54 PM »
Try FRANK'S PONTIAC PARTS. I've been to his yard and he has (or at least USED to have back 10 years ago) a TON of first gen Firebirds.

Ed
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 07:14:01 PM by KurtS »

Jmoore9622

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 09:35:46 PM »
I appreciate it guys thanks!

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 12:04:31 AM »

JerryGingras

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 01:07:23 AM »
I had never noticed before but my 68 fold down is missing one of the caps.  Not sure why its missing since its attached with a screw and all the other screws holding the bar and the other cap are there and tight.  Quick searches of fold downs are proving the price of these assemblies has really gone up (like everything else) - I bought a complete fold down (fair condition) at Talladega Speedway (they used to have some small parts/swap meet out there) probably 8 years ago for $200.  That one got sold away with another car...I'll keep looking but if anybody finds a good source I would like to fix this one up right and I'll do the same. thanks

Jmoore9622

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 01:17:37 AM »
I’m only finding them as previously stated on old backs. Missing one cap also, if i find a source I’ll post it for everyone else.

camaroboy68ss

• 1968 L30/M20
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 01:00:09 AM »
Yeah, another part made from Unobtainium.  I even looked into having once made on a 3D printer using the opposite side and asking if they could make a mirror image/opposite side print, but got nowhere.  I was also holding out hope that during my recent restoration the missing one would be found somewhere inside, but no luck.  Last one I saw for sale was both ends and the middle trim piece in very ratty condition on eBay, and as I recall it went for at least $150-$200 maybe even more.     

I could probably make the model file, mainly depends on what format the printer would need. I do 3d modeling for building construction, but making a mirror copy of a original piece should not be a problem. I'll have to go dig out my fold down I have stashed away as see if its missing either cap.
Young gun with a Camaro or 2.
1968 Camaro RS L30/M20, 2017 Camaro SS
1968 Chevy C10 - Twin to the Camaro
1933 Ford Pickup - "Camaro in disguise"

anything