Author Topic: Garage door security  (Read 4003 times)

jvb6648

• 716-796-5263
    • View Profile
Garage door security
« on: May 07, 2021, 05:26:55 PM »
Let me start by asking if anyone has used this product or something similar? It attaches to the top panel of the door and the door header to prevent the door from being pushed in and a coat hanger from tripping the opener release.

https://www.garagedoorarmor.com/products/garage-door-armor-pro

FYI. And the reason I'm asking if you didn't know already, 6 seconds to break in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSO_HTBHLFI

Yes it happened to me, the only reason they didn't get in was the type of release on the opener. It only releases if pulled straight down, coat hanger won't work. They tried so hard they bent the door panel AND the metal bar that runs the length or the door. I also use the slide bar through the rail and pad lock that as well. Just putting it out here, don't think it can't happen to you. My Camaro was stolen once and recovered and almost a second time, sheet metal screw in ignition switch. It didn't work. Thank you hood locks. This was the 3rd maybe even 4th attempt.
Jim
68 Z/28

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Garage door security
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 06:11:00 PM »
You really don't need that. If you're afraid of break-ins:

1. Remove the pull rope.
2. If you have windows on your doors, cover them up. They have to SEE the latch to pull it. I don't have that problem because I have doors with no windows.

If they're going to break in, they're going to break in!! Just like all car alarms and anti-theft devices. If they want your car, nothing's going to stop them. If they really want in your garage, nothing's going to stop them.

Ed

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 08:13:53 PM »
Let me start by asking if anyone has used this product or something similar? It attaches to the top panel of the door and the door header to prevent the door from being pushed in and a coat hanger from tripping the opener release.

https://www.garagedoorarmor.com/products/garage-door-armor-pro

FYI. And the reason I'm asking if you didn't know already, 6 seconds to break in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSO_HTBHLFI

Yes it happened to me, the only reason they didn't get in was the type of release on the opener. It only releases if pulled straight down, coat hanger won't work. They tried so hard they bent the door panel AND the metal bar that runs the length or the door. I also use the slide bar through the rail and pad lock that as well. Just putting it out here, don't think it can't happen to you. My Camaro was stolen once and recovered and almost a second time, sheet metal screw in ignition switch. It didn't work. Thank you hood locks. This was the 3rd maybe even 4th attempt.

Hate to mention this, I believe someone knows you, and your car. This is the reason there were (and have been) attempts to steal it. Be careful with whom you talk and associate with at public events and shows. Not trying to scare you, just want to make sure you and your car stay safe!
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 08:40:02 PM »
Use a Liftmaster 3800 Jackshaft Opener it mounts to the Side of the Roll up rod. It has a Electrically activated Track lock also. Emergency Release cord is off to the side and out of the way not where most would not expect find it, NO Windows in your garage door! Maintain a low profile, Your Children are a source of information to others, get a Big Dog, Fences and attached garage offer best security.
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

jvb6648

• 716-796-5263
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 03:35:27 PM »
You really don't need that. If you're afraid of break-ins:

1. Remove the pull rope.
2. If you have windows on your doors, cover them up. They have to SEE the latch to pull it. I don't have that problem because I have doors with no windows.

If they're going to break in, they're going to break in!! Just like all car alarms and anti-theft devices. If they want your car, nothing's going to stop them. If they really want in your garage, nothing's going to stop them.

Ed

You're a real optimist Ed, but I know what you mean. I've always said that the only thing locks do are to keep the honest people honest. They don't need a window, work until you feel the release mechanism, rope or no rope. I'm more comfortable now knowing that my release can't be tripped like that, it will only release with a straight downward pull. After the door is repaired I want something to prevent or make it difficult to wedge the door and back and dent it again. Force them to plan B. Throw up as many deterrents as you can, cameras, alarms etc. Why make it easy for them. I do appreciate your input.

Jim
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 02:22:11 AM by KurtS »
Jim
68 Z/28

jvb6648

• 716-796-5263
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 04:16:41 PM »
Part of the reason I started this thread was to put out how easy it is to break in. It took me a while to figure out how my garage door dented and pushed in. I may not be the brightest bulb in the chandler but I'm certainly not the dimmest.
Those previous attempts were in western NY 45 years ago all separate incidents. Moved to NC 13 years ago where I started restoring it. No incidents. Move to Ohio in Nov. to a 55+ community, no through streets, they kind of meander wherever. So who knows, may have been one of the landscape workers for all I know. We were down in Fla. when it happened. The car isn't finished so it doesn't go anywhere. I'll look at that Liftmaster 3800 and do what is necessary to make the house more secure.
Jim
68 Z/28

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 07:01:32 PM »
I agree that the more deterrents you can throw in their way, the better. As for my doors, no rope, no glass, automatic locks, video cameras and phone warnings should the door open without my knowledge. Garage door openers are getting smarter and smarter all the time, but then again, so are crooks!

Plus I turn on the car alarms and other security devices in my cars, even when they're parked in the garage. If they want MY stuff, they're going to have to WORK for it!

Ed

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 07:21:18 PM »
I hate thieves. No windows in my shop or any doors. .45 is always loaded.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 08:33:15 PM »
I hate thieves. No windows in my shop or any doors. .45 is always loaded.

Thats my sentiment. A .44 Magnum along with a 12 gauge IS a great deterrent.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2021, 01:58:26 PM »
A bad reputation in the hood helps too.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2021, 05:10:11 PM »
I limo tinted the windows so you can see out but nobody can see in.  Harder to do it when they cant see the other side.

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2021, 09:55:16 PM »
I often state...
I've got a Pit bull and a pistol and they are released in that order...
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa