Author Topic: Amazing how a car can go from "restored" to "original" in just a few years!  (Read 4823 times)

bertfam

• View Profile
Back in 2006, we had THIS CAR on Craigslist (and also on EBAY) in the database as a "very nice restored car". Then, in 2008 it showed up on ebay with very little information other than it "has been repainted".

And now, it's suddenly a "totally original unrestored" car! (However, as you can clearly see by the pictures, it's HARDLY original!)

VIN is 124378N322875 and yes, it's a nice car, but again, offered by a flipper and VERY misrepresented.

How many things can YOU find wrong with a "totally original unrestored" car!!??

Before and after pictures of the rear springs in 2008 and the rear springs now. Also, aftermarket wheels in 2008 and base wheels now. And there's a lot more...

Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice car with original POP, engine, etc..., but telling someone it's totally original just irks me.

Ed
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 04:48:32 PM by bertfam »

Z282NV

• View Profile
It's a dealer, not very many of them are that upfront about what they know about the cars they sell. The rare few that do are reputable and either know there stuff and if they don't they take the initative to find out from those that do. Don't let it get to you Ed, it's a losing battle.
Joe
69 Camaro

maroman

• View Profile
And many many people think if it looks right it is original. They don't associate redone, repainted, restored. And many think you can change to BB,Z-28, or add RS or SS, and no one will ever know.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

GMAD_Van Nuys

• View Profile
I doubt that the gas tank on this Camaro looked that nice when it rolled off the assembly line at the Norwood Plant.  I wish the exhaust on my 1979 Trans Am looked as good as this car, and it has been in California since being built at the Van Nuys Plant.

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
Auction ended - "item no longer available"

Richard
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
Saw a guy on FB today asking what he should do after he has bought what was advertised as a L89 and not he found the block is restamped and I believe it had a fake protecto plate.  Dealer sold it to him.  Had to be expensive mistake. 
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

Z282NV

• View Profile
Saw a guy on FB today asking what he should do after he has bought what was advertised as a L89 and not he found the block is restamped and I believe it had a fake protecto plate.  Dealer sold it to him.  Had to be expensive mistake.

FB would be the last place I would go asking for advice. If he shelled out big bucks and has proof that the car has been misrepresented then he should call his lawyer.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 04:50:06 PM by Z282NV »
Joe
69 Camaro

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles

FB would be the last place I would go asking for advice. If he shelled out big bucks and has proof that the car has been misrepresented then he should call his lawyer.

This site, almost certainly, will be in your search results for first gen camaro information. Searching and doing just a little due diligence should turn up one or more of the following CRG, team camaro, or Yenko.net in relation to 67-69 hi perf Camaros. IMHO If buyers found any of these sites and were to ask a few questions, MANY cases of buyers remorse could be prevented.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
I think the guy on FB was hoping someone gave him a lawyers name.  Several came up with the same guy. 
I agree these guys are not doing much homework
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

Kelley W King

• View Profile
Some of the restorations or facelifts on these cars were done so long ago they start looking "original".
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

MO

• View Profile
This is the reason for disclaimers such as "believed to be". Add to that statement whatever applies, such as, drivetrain, mileage, original, etc.. I guess that is an escape clause?

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
This is a good reason to have Jerry certify any hi dollar rare original   “believed to be” before you buy.
I bet he would cost less then a lawyer on a long dragged out law suit! Also should help your heirs when they go to sell in the future!

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
A long time wealthy car collector friend of mine always states: "No documentation, no premium". I agree what has been mentioned, get a qualified person to inspect ANY potential car you intend to purchase....especially a big dollar car.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

anything