Author Topic: Propensity to stall...  (Read 5242 times)

DonSTP

• 68-RS
    • View Profile
Propensity to stall...
« on: April 06, 2007, 01:58:02 AM »
My 68-RS 327/210 runs great except when coming from a cruise to stop - for example, when going from 40mph to pull into a gas station. 

It tends to want to stall out.  She catches up pretty quick and hasn't actually stalled out but has gotten real close to it. 

Any suggestions?  Perhaps the fuel pump or fuel filter? 

Thanks,
Don
 ???

Wallace

• View Profile
Re: Propensity to stall...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 12:28:28 AM »
Don,

I had a similar problem a while back.  My engine would die when the vehicle was in motion, sometimes on a rough road.  It was brief and very random.  I blamed every component possible until I discovered that the ignition wire that led to the + side of the coil had a factory connection that had lost it's insulation, which was the wrapped tape.  The connection was right next to the firewall and would occasionally touch and short the ignition.  It was an easy fix but tough to find because I couldn't see the exposed joint.  Not sure if that is your problem but worth looking at.  Anymore I have looked for solutions by first checking electrical connections, especially grounds.  Good luck.

Wallace

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 02:33:46 PM »
Don,

Wallace is offering good advise, even if that doesn't turn out to be your problem.  A while back my 68 would get an occasional bad skip.  Then, it would correct itself.  Turned out to be a wire to the starter.  Where the starter wires run by the exhaust, the insulation had a very small burned spot --just enough to make it skip. 

As I recently said on another thread, I have a friend who runs an auto electical shop, and he says that wiring is a common problem in a lot of restorations --especially ground wires.

Let us know what it turns out to be...
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

DonSTP

• 68-RS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 02:56:47 AM »
Hi Guys - not sure what went wrong but I had the idle set too high and after adjusting it to the right speed everything seems to be working much better.  Seems the Holly Carbs are sensitive to this - or is idle a primary factor in carb performance and float adjustment.  Any insight on that one would be helpful. 

Thanks again.  For now I'm good!

Spring is here!

Don