Author Topic: Excellent article by Jay Leno  (Read 2822 times)

bertfam

• View Profile
Excellent article by Jay Leno
« on: March 04, 2021, 05:59:47 PM »
Click HERE.

Ed

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Re: Excellent article by Jay Leno
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 07:14:33 PM »
Leno's article is the first thing I read when I get the Hagerty magazine. This one is "Oh so true"! Thanks for posting it, Ed.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

Z282NV

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 09:08:15 PM »
I completely agree with what Jay is saying. Unfortunately we have become a throw away society, no interest or knowledge on how to fix things or appreciate the skills that some people have to keep their stuff going. Just go out and buy a new one. it is more than just old cars. Thanks for posting Ed.
Joe
69 Camaro

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 10:46:25 PM »
Reading this article from Jay Leno, about the blind man who had climbed Mt Everest, reminded me of the time back in the late 70's... I went to a local car show/display put on by a local AACA chapter in north Alabama.  It was held inside a local mall.   I was wandering thru the cars, admiring them as I've always wanted an old 30's model (but never have owned one), when I came across a beautiful mid 30's Plymouth coupe.. absolutely gorgeous everywhere.  I was admiring it and noticed an older gentleman sitting in a chair nearby, so I asked him if he knew who owned it.   He told me that he was the owner and he had also restored it...  I also found out talking to him that he was BLIND...  I was blown away...

Doing restorations myself, running into the parts that don't seem to have come from that area, I get so frustrated at times I almost 'go blind'.. :) .. but that's NOT the same thing!!
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 05:26:01 PM »
On a personal note, Jay is such a humble, down to earth guy. He is approachable, and friendly at the car shows he frequents. I have had the pleasure to work with him on many shoots (Im a cameraman), involving car related content. His Burbank 'storage' of cars is amazing. Also, when I first met him, it was a late night in 1986 hanging around at Mulholland Canyon. We hear this rumbling, and here is Jay driving up in his blue Cobra. We ended up bs-ing for over an hour, talking of course about cars. Remember, this was before he had just made it big in the industry. He was making the rounds on the late night shows (especially on Johnny Carson) and just finished filming the infamous Doritos commercial...fun times!
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 12:04:26 AM »
Thanks for sharing - I enjoy Jay's articles.

Richard
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 01:11:05 AM »
Leno still gets it. For all of his money he knows how to do his own work.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 02:12:18 AM »
Appreciate the story. The blind man and his accomplishments weren't seen by selfish self absorbed, self blinded people like so many have become over recent years. Reach them a selfie stick and they will be fine wrapped up in all their splendid self induced glory. They make my tailpipe want to throw up. Shame on all of them. I haven't met Leno but have always felt a kindred spirit towards him through the persona that I get from him. Have heard many speak of him in high regards and respect. Not a poser. A gearhead. Love watching Leno's garage.

anything