Author Topic: Sound Deadener  (Read 2830 times)

gwp4

• View Profile
Sound Deadener
« on: January 12, 2021, 11:47:04 PM »
Hi folks -

I'd like to keep my 1968 Camaro as stock as possible for judging purposes.  However, I'm getting suggestions to put some sound deadener in the car to make it a little quieter.  I'm hesitant because I believe it didn't come from the factory with any (as far as I know).  It's a noisy car, but it really doesn't seem to bother me.  Did Chevy use any sound deadener back in 1968 or was the jute on the back of the carpeting the best they could do.  If any one recommends a sound deadener I'd like to get some suggestions on the various makes (a lot out there).  I've heard of Dynamat, Second Skin, Hushmat and Fatmat are popular. Maybe one that's thin and not noticeable under the carpeting might work.  However, Fatmat seems to have some problems in warmer climates and I've read that people have complained it smells like asphalt.  In any case, welcome comments from the first-gen Camaro experts who frequent this forum.  gwp4

qwertyme77

• View Profile
Re: Sound Deadener
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 02:41:55 AM »
I am by no means an authority, but I used to have a '68 coupe with air conditioning. If my memory is correct, as this was about 40 years ago, under the carpeting was a series of die cut black tarry (3/8" thick??) kind of pieces lining the floor boards and extending under the back seat. I THINK it also went up the firewall but I can't remember if it was half way or more. There was a paper like covering on the top so the carpet wouldn't stick to it. I think it was the same on the underside. I may still have the pieces in my garage attic but the car is long gone. Unfortunately I am out of state for an extended period of time so I can't help any more than this. This might have been an A/C car only thing too, I'm not sure. Hope this helps.

If I am incorrect about what I think I remember I am sure others here will chime in.

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 03:34:56 AM »
I think they all had what you're describing. Deluxe interior cars had a little more....Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

Hans L

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 05:23:00 AM »
While this is out of a '69, here's what the sound deadener looks like.  They do make reproduction deadener that appears very similar, but has black backing material vs brown.

https://www.instagram.com/69camarorsz28/
'69 Camaro RS Z/28 Van Nuys Built
'69 Chevelle SS 396 4 Speed

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 09:24:58 PM »
My worthless two cents...
The above photo shows how the factory original 'underlayment' was applied. That said, IF you do not mind laying down Dynamat under the carpet is a very good alternative. It is light, easy to install, and does absorb road noise very nicely. Another alternative, IF you don't mind spraying some 'Lizard Skin' sound deadener. This will however, be very hard to return your floors to OEM condition if that is a concern.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 02:49:21 PM »
My worthless two cents...
The above photo shows how the factory original 'underlayment' was applied. That said, IF you do not mind laying down Dynamat under the carpet is a very good alternative. It is light, easy to install, and does absorb road noise very nicely. Another alternative, IF you don't mind spraying some 'Lizard Skin' sound deadener. This will however, be very hard to return your floors to OEM condition if that is a concern.
Worthless 2 cents X2
I put Dynamat under my 68's carpet several years ago and it made a difference in road noise and vibration,  and to some extent in heat. At that time sure made a difference in some car club trips of over 500 miles.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director