Author Topic: Milwaukee Mile: 1967 Camaro Convertible Pace Car for SCCA Club Event in 1967  (Read 1469 times)

SMKZ28

• View Profile
Here is a photo showing that a gold 1967 Camaro convertible was used as the pace car for what I believe to be a Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) National event held at State Fair Park Speedway (currently known as the Milwaukee Mile) in West Allis, Wisconsin on Saturday, July 1st and Sunday, July 2nd, 1967. 

The person who posted it on Facebook did not know what the event was.   They only knew that it was taken at the Milwaukee Mile.  At first, I thought the photo was backwards but then I noticed that you can still read the words "START FINISH."  That means it had to be the correct way.  Then I did a bit of digging and found out that the SCCA held a few events on the road course at the Milwaukee Mile and that they drove it in the clockwise direction instead of counter clockwise like they do on the oval.  With the amount of people in the stands I believe that the event was the 14th annual Wisconsin Gran Prix organized by the Milwaukee region of the SCCA.  Participants were given a dash plaque that shows the layout of the road course.  I found a picture of this dash plaque on Worthpoint.com.  I'm not sure why they left the letter "d" out of the normal spelling of "Grand Prix." 

The cars are not Indycars but probably rear engine Formula B race cars.  I have not been able to find any program or listing of what events took place at this event.  Normally there are multiple races held over an SCCA event weekend, so the Camaro was probably used as the pace car multiple times. 

The Camaro looks to be a base model with a matching gold interior, wheel covers and white wall tires.  It's too bad we can't read the various signs hung on the car.  It appears that there is a DX logo sticker on the front fender ahead of the front wheel.  It looks to be the same shape as the DX logo on the dash plaque.  DX was an oil/gas company.

Photo came from here: https://www.facebook.com/TheFinalInspection/photos
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

MO

• View Profile
Nice work Scott!!

anything