Author Topic: installin a windshield  (Read 4412 times)

Flowjoe

• View Profile
installin a windshield
« on: March 30, 2007, 05:39:33 AM »
OK tried this in the general discussion topic will try here..

I'm putitng in windshields and back glass...I want to ensure the proper height of the glass so that it meets the eveal moulding correctly.

I would like to use butyl ribbon to do this.

1) what did the factory use?

2) what thickness of butyl ribbon should I use (1/4", 5/16", 3/8")?  I believe it will depend upon my glass (new or old)

3) Where can I get some butyl compatible window channel (pinch weld) primer?  

thanks
for any input.

mikefam

• View Profile
Re: installin a windshield
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 11:28:05 AM »
Joe:

You ask hard questions:) When I replaced my glass I prepped the metal with epoxy primer the same as the rest of the bare metal surfaces and used the seal material that the glass company gave me and it seems fine. It didn't even occur to me that I would have trouble with the moldings, I guess that I got lucky.

Mike.
68 Convertible w/327 275hp donor engine from a 67 Impala and TH350

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 01:54:03 PM »
Joe:

You ask hard questions:) When I replaced my glass I prepped the metal with epoxy primer the same as the rest of the bare metal surfaces and used the seal material that the glass company gave me and it seems fine. It didn't even occur to me that I would have trouble with the moldings, I guess that I got lucky.

Mike.

I've installed several over the last 20 years and not had problems...it was nlyin the last 5 yers or so I became aware of the height issues including the thickness of new glass versus old.  I guess ignorance is bliss sometimes. 

I have always painted the window channel but I know that one is supposed to use the pinch weld primer to guarantee that the butyl tape gets a good seal (urethane uses a primer also but it is ot compatible with butyl).

Any help on these questions gang?

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 03:37:38 PM »
Flowjoe, see your other post in the "General Discussion" forum for details on the factory installation.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 04:06:00 PM »
Flowjoe, see your other post in the "General Discussion" forum for details on the factory installation.
Thanks John