Author Topic: Racing Mustangs Book  (Read 8641 times)

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
Racing Mustangs Book
« on: June 24, 2020, 11:08:42 PM »
I hope its OK for me to post this here, given this is a Camaro forum! But I promise much of the content of this book focuses on the Trans-Am series, in which the Camaros played a pivotal role.

This is a book I wrote last year called Racing Mustangs - An International Photographic History. It focuses on the Mustang in international road racing, and although it spans the years 1964 - 1986, the real emphasis is on the years 1964 - 1970, when Ford played an active role in the Mustangs road racing programs.

It kicks off in 1964 with the homologation of the Mustang for endurance European rallying, where it took over from the Falcon Sprint. Many people aren't aware that the Mustang was first homologated not for road racing, but for rallying. It moves then to the design, construction and racing of the Shelby GT350 in 1965, for competing in SCCA B/Production sports car competition. And then, of course, comes the SCCA Trans-Am series in 1966, where Ford kept its distance initially, but slowly became ever-present, pouring more and more money into the series.

The book is 175 pages, and has 300 photos and approx 30,000 words. It does cover the Mustangs racing history in other parts of the world, but the main focus is the US, and in particular, the Trans-Am. It was released a few weeks back and is available direct from the publisher, and will shortly be available through Amazon.com and other outlets. Price is US$35.

I'll post various photos and page segments here, but here is a link through to the publisher: https://www.veloce.co.uk/store/Racing-Mustangs-An-International-Photographic-History-1964-1986-p145293215

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
Re: Racing Mustangs Book
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 11:50:57 PM »
Because of Mustangs mid-year launch (April 1964), every racing championship was already well advanced. Ford was highly active in motor racing in the 1960s, and in 1964 alone already had its colossal Ford GT40 program, as well as Ford and Mercury teams in NASCAR, Ford and Mercury teams in NHRA, plus its European endurance rallying programs with the Falcon Sprint, as well as endurance tests with the Mercury Comet. In addition, Ford was supporting Carroll Shelby with the Cobra roadster and Daytona Coupe in domestic and World sports car racing in the GT category.

So the Mustang was always going to play some sort of sporty role, and until it could compete in SCCA road racing in 1965, was positioned in European endurance rallying. It took over the role of the Falcon Sprint mid-way through 1964. These pages show the homologation papers from the Mustangs first competition foray. Optional Equipment listed on the forms included an auxiliary fuel tank and sump guard.

The paperwork submitted to the FIA was initially rejected. The understanding was that because Jacque Passino and George Merwin listed themselves as Managers, the FIA considered them not important enough. Therefore, the exact same paperwork was resubmitted, this time with Passino and Merwin listed as Directors. This time it was approved!

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 01:38:45 AM »
Steve, I know the amount of effort you put into all of your projects and I have no doubts this book is a thoroughly enjoyable read.  On top of that, I don't know how you find all the cool old photos (most in color) that have generally never been seen before, but I'm thankful you do.  You've priced it well and I hope you sell a bunch of them.  Looks like I'll have to add another book to the library.
Jon Mello
CRG

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 01:40:02 AM »
Steve, I know the amount of effort you put into all of your projects and I have no doubts this book is a thoroughly enjoyable read.  On top of that, I don't know how you find all the cool old photos (most in color) that have generally never been seen before, but I'm thankful you do.  You've priced it well and I hope you sell a bunch of them.  Looks like I'll have to add another book to the library.

Hi Jon, thank you so much, I really appreciate your kind words. I have to admit, they do become an obsession, to the point I'm having dreams about them, but I do enjoy the process.

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 01:50:54 AM »
The first official factory racing program for the Mustang was the 3700-mile Liege-Sofia-Liege Rally in August 1964. Two cars, prepared and run by Alan Mann Racing, crashed out of the event, and did not finish.

The following month, Alan Mann Racing ran three Mustangs in the Tour de France Rally. These were much tougher cars than those of Liege-Sofia-Liege. From the 117-car entry, two of the Mustangs placed first and second in the Touring class, and eighth and ninth outright behind seven GT cars. The three AMR Mustangs wore the registration numbers DPK5B, DPK6B, and DPK7B. It was 7B, driven by Peter Procter and Andrew Cowan that won the Touring class.

Following TdF, the three Mustangs went their separate ways, with 7B being shipped to the US. Skip Scott raced this car at 1964 Nassau Speed Week, stilling wearing its registration number.

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 08:47:23 PM »
Looks like a really interesting book. I'll have to get one too. Thanks for posting it here. Good luck with it!

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 09:34:42 PM »
How much information in your book on the 1966 Shelby racing coupes??   They were very limited production... and any information on their early European race/rallye results?
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 09:55:51 PM »
Steve,
Thanks for posting your book info on here. I also read it on the Boss 302 web site too. Good luck on the sale.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 01:31:42 AM »
How much information in your book on the 1966 Shelby racing coupes??   They were very limited production... and any information on their early European race/rallye results?

The Group 2 Shelby notchbacks feature throughout the 1966 chapter, although mostly those competing in the Trans-Am. I really only covered the European rally Mustangs in the 1964 chapter, as Ford quickly moved on following the TdF. There was so much more I would have loved to include, but space was the enemy.

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2020, 01:32:09 AM »
Steve,
Thanks for posting your book info on here. I also read it on the Boss 302 web site too. Good luck on the sale.

Yes, thank you for suggesting this. I posted yesterday.

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2020, 01:44:27 AM »
The 1965 chapter focuses on the design, creation, and competition of the Shelby GT350. Ford wanted to take the Mustang road racing, and compete against the Corvette. It tried to muscle in on the SCCA B/production division, but the SCCA flatly refused to let the Mustang race, as they said it wasn't a sports car. So Ford commissioned Carroll Shelby to tackle the project, which resulted in the GT350.

Of course, everyone knows Shelby American built two versions of the 1965 model Shelby GT350; a street version and a race version. Rick Kopec, of SAAC, very kindly sent me a great number of images from the SAAC collection and from his personal collection, which includes all the original photos from the Shelby American parts catalogue. Carroll Shelby insisted every part that was fitted to the GT350 R-model should also be made available to anyone who wanted to buy them.

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2020, 03:05:18 AM »
The 1965 chapter focuses on the design, creation, and competition of the Shelby GT350. Ford wanted to take the Mustang road racing, and compete against the Corvette. It tried to muscle in on the SCCA B/production division, but the SCCA flatly refused to let the Mustang race, as they said it wasn't a sports car. So Ford commissioned Carroll Shelby to tackle the project, which resulted in the GT350.

Of course, everyone knows Shelby American built two versions of the 1965 model Shelby GT350; a street version and a race version. Rick Kopec, of SAAC, very kindly sent me a great number of images from the SAAC collection and from his personal collection, which includes all the original photos from the Shelby American parts catalogue. Carroll Shelby insisted every part that was fitted to the GT350 R-model should also be made available to anyone who wanted to buy them.

Steve,
Did you happen to speak with Jerry Swartz (before his untimely passing)? Im sure you know he was chief mechanic and fabricator @ Shelby American. I personally knew him and bought a car (not a Shelby) from him in the late 1980s. He was a heck of a nice guy, and had some fantastic in sites what occurred during his time with Shelby.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2020, 07:09:31 AM »

Steve,
Did you happen to speak with Jerry Swartz (before his untimely passing)? Im sure you know he was chief mechanic and fabricator @ Shelby American. I personally knew him and bought a car (not a Shelby) from him in the late 1980s. He was a heck of a nice guy, and had some fantastic in sites what occurred during his time with Shelby.

Sadly, no I didn't.

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2020, 09:10:12 PM »
In the 1965 chapter I've included several of the Shelby GT350 R-models, and who they were sold to. Shelby American used the same chassis numbering sequence regardless of whether the car was a street or race model. After 31 cars had been built, the S or R designation was included in the Shelby VIN, but the first R-model customer car was SFM5R094, the 94th car built. So the fact the early cars didn't include the S or R designation didn't matter.

On this page at top left is SFM5R102, which was sold to Bob Johnson.

At bottom left is SFM5R103, purchased by Randy Blessing. This car was raced by Walt Hane. This photo was taken before the sides of the roof were painted red.

On the right page is SFM5R105, purchased by Malcolm Starr. Starr would race the car himself in some regional events, but it was really bought for Mark Donohue, and served an important role in Donohue making the transition from amateur to professional driver. This is the car as it appeared very early on, before Donohue began playing around with suspension, tires, sway bar settings. Following a trailering accident, Donohue had the colors reversed, so it stood out from the other GT350s at the 1965 SCCA American Road Race of Champions.

mikebaronehouston

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2020, 02:50:17 AM »
I'm building a second gen Pontiac.  Can't wait to see detail shots and learn more about the neatest period in racing!

I am sure I will also learn more about Jerry Titus and his move to Godsal/Pontiac that Jon shared.  Neat stuff.
Mike Barone
Houston, TX